Critique Request 1st 24 K Gold Inlay

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a couple of Pic's of my first 24 K Gold Inlay attempt. Let me know what you think. :chip:

Attachments

• SmlBkstrpFull.jpg
    SmlBkstrpFull.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 398
  • SmlBkStrpFlur.jpg
    SmlBkStrpFlur.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 415

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Guys. :tiphat:
I sweat blood while doing it. cutting the channel and then inlaying GOLD. Boy was I worried. :eek: And until I cleaned it up it looked awful. I even started looking for a new backstrap for it at one point. :shock:
Ron, that is the pistol with the stones in the screws. The saphire and rudy aren't as bright, now that it is blued. :(

Hi Fred. When I polished the back stap all up and sent the pistol to the bluer I was not sure what was going to happen. But boy does it sparkle now. It has been a great learning experience.
Sandy

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
I kind of thought that might be the one. If there was any way to set the stones afterwards, that might have been the way to go. Stones get their brilliance from the play of light and if the area under the set stone is shiny it helps those faceted stone's really sparkle. Would love to see a side shot.

This is your first atempt....YIKES...my first one I dug the gold back out and tossed the steel. Did you practice this with copper on scrap before you tried? It is very good period!

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
I did some copper and iron inlay a couple of times before doing the gold. Gold is a lot easier to inlay.

Latest posts

Sponsors