600 dpi vs 1200 dpi

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
I have a 600 dpi laser printer/copier. I got it to use for regular printing and copying in the home office. Now that I'm doing finer resolution material for engraving transfer I'm wondering if upgrading to a 1200 dpi machine would make any difference. I print transfers on overhead transparency film which itself may be part of the problem. Before I go down that road I was just wondering if anyone has made the switch from 600 to 1200 and noticed any marked difference. Thanks.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The only way to know is to sample both of them and transfer. As far as I know, 1200 is far superior to 600 so you should see a difference. Jerry sees no advantage. Go to a big box store and ask for a sample printout from each and test them. And don't forget to wash your hands.

The specs for my 10 year old Canon D1100 are:

Black:Up to 600 x 600 dpi
1200 x 600 dpi quality

It prints very sharp, crisp results. I can't explain the specs numbers. I only know it works really well. And it's monochrome so it only prints black.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys. I'll have to make a trip up to Phoenix after all of this virus lockdown is over and see if one of the geeks at Best Buy will print me out something. I'm trying to do a 100 line screen at a 45 degree angle and the line spacing is coming out inconsistent. I'm thinking the 600 lpi is just not quite enough and the computer in the printer is picking something close, just not close enough. If I can print me out a file I bring with me it will be immediately apparent if it works or not.

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
My guess is that the difference between 600 and 1200dpi will not be noticeable. The artwork that I work with is small and all Im really looking for is an outline to work from and not a gallery worthy photograph. Additionally, it seems to me that the higher resolution images don't transfer as well as a lower resolution artwork ... it appears to me that maybe the smaller dots (higher DPI) do not contain enough ink to readily transfer ... just my thought / observations - YMMV

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i can't imagine any transfer-to-metal process will be perfect enough to see any difference. what are you engraving that you think you need resolution that high?

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
why not call the manufacturer. They will know more than the store personnel And you can get your answer without waiting

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
I'm trying to do a 100 lpi printing screen. It looks like a cross hatch pattern you would use for a background. The line resolution is fine and transfers ok. The issue is that the line spacing varies by a line width or so every 5th or 6th line. I'm thinking this is the printer not having an exact position to put a line so it picks the closest thing. I was just wondering if someone had upgraded from a standard 600 to a 1200 and saw a great leap in performance. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: Sam

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm trying to do a 100 lpi printing screen. It looks like a cross hatch pattern you would use for a background. The line resolution is fine and transfers ok. The issue is that the line spacing varies by a line width or so every 5th or 6th line. I'm thinking this is the printer not having an exact position to put a line so it picks the closest thing. I was just wondering if someone had upgraded from a standard 600 to a 1200 and saw a great leap in performance. Thanks for the input.

I see what you mean now. I've experienced similar things trying to transfer a grid or lines where every so often there's a hiccup and incorrect spacing due to the resolution that wouldn't be noticeable on a larger grid.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The "hiccup" you may be seeing Sam could possibly be caused be the printer sheet feed speed being slightly erratic, rather than the dpi spacing. It's purely a mechanical roller and the paper may slip a fraction of a mm at times.

Latest posts

Sponsors