A beginner question

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Where do you folks find the 1000 - 2000 paper? I have been to every hardware store around here and the finest they ever have is 600. I have been using a rather odd source for polishing finer than 600. The local beauty supply store sells all sorts of abrasive sticks and blocks for manicurists. I buy these 4 sided blocks that are listed as "super fine" and they give me a finish one step finer than 600. They also sell these grey colored sticks that are so fine they must be equal to about 1500 if I had to guess. Anyway the emery paper is probably a cheaper way to go and being numbered gives a better reference as to the polishing steps.

Thanks,

Roger

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger,
You need to go to an automotive supply company that deals in auto body refinishing. Or a local body shop.
They have up to 3000 grit that I know of. Also, the other grit paper really works well as it seems to be a better quality than the hardware variety type. When you get to 2500-3000 it is nearly a polished surface.

Ravenhill

Banned
yep, 3M wet or dry auto paint finishing paper is up to 2500 but its pricey! about $34 a sleeve. I have recently found some German made paper that goes up to 5000 and about half the price of 3M. They have an 800 grit that makes a really nice satin hand finish. Brand name is Vitek. It's all about $17 a sleeve.