A beginners attempt

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Well i come here every day to read and learn and this is a GREAT site. I have learned alot.
here is a little practice piece i just did
It is a knock out plug from an electrical box
sorry about the blurry picture
i would like your constructive criticism's please

Dave:)
100_2984.jpg

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
I would have never thought of using a knock out plug. How was that to engrave? This is a very good start, and considering the size I hope you will consider engraving a few coins. Steve Adams

Andrew Biggs

Hi Dave

Well done. The important thing is you are doing and enjoying it. Time and lots of practice will take care of the rest. Draw as much as time permits and keep at it.

Cheers
Andrew

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
I salute you for a good attempt. Thanks for sharing. I hope this attempt inspires you to do and show more.

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Dave,

That is without a doubt the nicest knock-out slug that I have ever seen!! Good design elements. Keep up the good work!

Gary

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Thank You All for the replies!
It really helps to get positive feed back. With every cut my confidence goes up a bit.
Steve, The plug cuts really nice...i polished it before starting and it looked to me like i might of polished off the galvanized plating. These plugs are every ware and and i like them because the surface area isn't so large that i get overwhelmed. I will try a coin in the future, but for some reason i struggle when i look at one to come up with an idea... i think it is because it is not a "blank canvas"
Again Thanks for the confidence boost... I will post more as i progress along
Dave

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Dave
I agreed with Steve, try carving a few coins..If you want a blank canvas grind the subject off the coin or look at coin carvings here and other web sites to get ideals about hats, nose, eyes, etc.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Dave, you're off and running with a darned good job! Sure looks better than a lot of my early first attempts. I can see you put some work into that piece, and I look forward to seeing more. Congratulations! / Sam

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave, I'm with everyone else! You did a good job, layout is good, cutting is good, specially for a first attempt. You'll do good at this, just keep practicing! Keep posting too. Dwayne

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
unkl Ian, i was reluctant to post a picture but as you can see everyone was VERY nice and the boost of confidence that i received was wonderful. if i could give some advise. post a picture .... it was a good experience for me. I got the 2 colors by stippeling the background and then using Sam's idea of wiping the whole thing with "Flat Black Enamel Paint" (make sure it is flat black as semigloss leaves a sheen.)
then wiping off the excess with your thumb....it leaves the paint in your cut lines and stipple marks. I do this a few times while i am engraving to see how my shading lines look. it wipes right out with some acetone.
Monk Thank you my friend! i am going to upgrade "the Beast" gravermeister to the hi-speed valve, GRS tells me that i will notice a huge difference in the way it cuts... i will let you know my findings.
Thank you everyone else!
I will definitely try a coin and post the results.
Dave

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
a Knock out plug?

Wow, de ja vu all over again. A while back I posted on another group making a comparison between engraving a coin and engraving a knock out plug. I think you've proven that a quality engraving will work on any surface. Now the question is... what are you going to engrave on the electrical box?

Merry CHRISTmas!

Joe Paonessa

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Neat idea Dave!

That is a cool idea you have there Dave! The engraving is very nice, too! I especially like the background of the D. How long have you been engraving?

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Gtsport
no plans for the whole electrical box....lol but my circut breaker door.......hmmmm
Thanks Pappy
I have been dabbling off and on for about a year but just started doing it on a regular basis about 4 months ago
my work is crazy so i get in between 2 and 6 hours a week engraving
i try and draw all of the time tho
I don't know if anyone wants to mess with the knock out plugs but i take them and put a little transfer wax on my fingers to make them sticky and then i just rub the plugs on a sheet of sand paper working my way up to finer grits ... it doesn't take to long to get them shiny.
thanks again
Dave

Latest posts

Sponsors