A new adjustable vice stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Harvey

Just got this stand done, couldn't find a floor model drill press at the time used. But on the other hand this bench top one worked out very well. Just wanted to share this idea with others. Once I can find a positioning vice this will be a nice workable stand.

Attachments

• photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 371

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
check the tip section. you can make a "bed of bearings" that will serve nicely, making one is not expensive. the bearings i use are from gander mountain. they are made for slingshots. be careful though, as some have a small flat area on all the balls. not sure how well those would work.
mine allows much more room to move around than the centering vise alone does. normally the centering vise is constrained by a nylon ring. when i want more movement, i remove the ring and the vise goes whichever way needed. the constraint ring goes on the bearing bed. then the socket the positioning vise sits on fits in that. works well for me. ymmv

Attachments

• BEARING BED.JPG
    BEARING BED.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 304

barney

tom. how about a positioning platform for the vise you have. air operated with foot pedal. Barney

Tom Harvey

Thanks Monk, that is a very good idea. So the base can slide anywhere in that area without the chance of sliding off platform. Thanks

Tom Harvey

Bruce, Your right, long pieces are a pain the way I built the bench. I looked into your web site, very nice work ! Still looking for a floor model press. If I ever change stand I will probably build a different bench. Thanks for input, Tom

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
tom: if you ever want to cobble up such a device, i could send you a few pics and dimensions. as i mentioned, the bearing platform is just an extra to allow more movement than the positioning vise allows. i never found it useful for scope work, just the optivisor way of working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Sponsors