Adapting the GRS Acrobat and Acrobat Versa stands for older Wild Heerbrugg (Leica) microscopes?

alFrumpus

Hi everyone. I posted in another forum, but got no response, so I'm posting here. I have watched these forums for years, but have been pretty silent. You have a great community here! Starting around 2004, I was a custom goldsmith for almost nine years before I headed into a new profession. Now I am feeling the itch again, and in the process of making myself a bench, and buying basic (but quality) equipment, including a microscope (& stand).

I bought a Wild M8 stereo microscope on FleaBay recently, and I wonder how hard it would be to mount it on either the GRS Acrobat and Acrobat Versa stand. Does anyone have experience with this?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wild-Heerbrugg-M8-Stereo-Zoom-Microscope-w-10x-Eyepieces-PLAN-1X-Lens/323499696585?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

(I'm not sure how the forum moderators respond to posting external links, so if this needs to be removed, that's fine. Instead, search FleaBay for "Wild-Heerbrugg-M8-Stereo-Zoom-Microscope-w-10x-Eyepieces-PLAN-1X-Lens" and you can see it in the completed listings.)

Thanks in advance for your reply.
-Allan

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Allan-

I'm the king of this sort of thing. There's probably not a single piece of equipment in my shop that hasn't been customized or adapted somehow. Without trying to get into your specific situation, what you need is a friendly machinist with an aptitude for a little seat-of-the-pants engineering. Show him parts A & C, explain what you need, and he can likely figure out part B to make it all fit together.

I've always done all my own 'design engineering' and either made parts myself or supplied drawings to a machinist (usually a colleague in the gun or knifemaking biz). If you've been a goldsmith/jeweler for all those years you should be able to figure it out.

ok, having glanced at the link (which is fine, btw), it appears your scope already has a Leica post-type focus mount. i'd suggest going to Leica's website and see if any of their several variations of posts will fit your scope mount on one end and the Acrobat on the other, or will at least simplify the transition.

Last edited:

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
If you haven't done so already, you might contact the folks at GRS and explain what you want to do. They may have an adapter available or suggest a modification like what Mitch mentioned.

Latest posts

Sponsors