Advanced Shading

Spark

1st post
I have finished my practice plate following the video on Advanced Shading video. This is another very good course and I enjoyed following along doing the practice plate. I finding it hard to not incorporate aspects of other work I’ve seen over the past 4 years and I can’t usually remember where I saw it. I don’t want to start off by offending anyone.

Shading engraveIMG_1155[2305843009271042115].jpg I am a journeyman machinist and have designed and manufactured adaptive equipment for my unique congenital differences. Both my legs are short as if they were missing from the knee down and I am missing one arm at the elbow. After an injury I have been living in a power wheelchair. It has taken several years to devise a system that works so I can do hand engraving. This is an ongoing project and if there are other people with one hand engraving I would like to see if they have ideas that I might benefit from or maybe they could benefit by what I am doing?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the forum. we have a few members with different physical issues. i'm not sure if any members have any such as you mentioned. i'm sure with all the many members you can get enough info to at least get a bit of a start. that you have created adaptive equipment to fit your individual needs, i should think you will get going towards your goal. good luck to you. whatever mechanical adaptations you create, please send fotos. there may be others lurking about that may just be able to use some of your ideas.

Si si

I have MS and can understand the difficulties. Never give up in your quest and I think your above practice plat is very good

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Spark,

Welcome to the Cafe' and congratulations on some very fine art work. I had been engraving since early eighties until braking my neck in 02. Had/Have some real challenges both physical and mental with engraving sense. Nothing compared to what you have accomplished. You are a real inspiration as a few others-Thank you and the others who have shared. I totally gave up on engraving and set my shop up to manufacture engravables (buckles, etc. both furious, non-ferocious, as well as precious metals). I was lucky in inheriting a fairly complete tool room machine shop about the same time.

Again- Welcome

Spark

welcome to the forum. we have a few members with different physical issues. i'm not sure if any members have any such as you mentioned. i'm sure with all the many members you can get enough info to at least get a bit of a start. that you have created adaptive equipment to fit your individual needs, i should think you will get going towards your goal. good luck to you. whatever mechanical adaptations you create, please send fotos. there may be others lurking about that may just be able to use some of your ideas.
1st post
I have finished my practice plate following the video on Advanced Shading video. This is another very good course and I enjoyed following along doing the practice plate. I finding it hard to not incorporate aspects of other work I’ve seen over the past 4 years and I can’t usually remember where I saw it. I don’t want to start off by offending anyone.

View attachment 46214 I am a journeyman machinist and have designed and manufactured adaptive equipment for my unique congenital differences. Both my legs are short as if they were missing from the knee down and I am missing one arm at the elbow. After an injury I have been living in a power wheelchair. It has taken several years to devise a system that works so I can do hand engraving. This is an ongoing project and if there are other people with one hand engraving I would like to see if they have ideas that I might benefit from or maybe they could benefit by what I am doing?

Thanks for the interest. After I tidy up a bit I will take a picture of my custom turntable set up and post it.

Spark

Spark,

Welcome to the Cafe' and congratulations on some very fine art work. I had been engraving since early eighties until braking my neck in 02. Had/Have some real challenges both physical and mental with engraving sense. Nothing compared to what you have accomplished. You are a real inspiration as a few others-Thank you and the others who have shared. I totally gave up on engraving and set my shop up to manufacture engravables (buckles, etc. both furious, non-ferocious, as well as precious metals). I was lucky in inheriting a fairly complete tool room machine shop about the same time.

Again- Welcome

Thank you for your encouraging comment and the nice welcome.
I have used a strange little saying: I can do anything I want, I only want to do the things I can.

Spark

Welcome to the Cafe. Excellent job on the engraving! Good to have you here.

Thank you.
Besides the video being a great teaching method I particularly appreciate the comment you made regarding what you tell yourself about a minuscule line variation, I feel much the same about variation were I didn’t plan it. When I look at my finished work what jumps out is where I would make improvements or changes next time.

Spark

monk
This is a picture of my turntable set up I said I would post. To increase smoothness and ease of control the device has a 5:1 ratio. I place my elbow in the tapper bearing to rotate the turntable. I think this might work for anyone in my situation. The system should be able to be adapted to work with a leg or foot. There is a very strange challenge I faced to get it to work though. There may not be anyone interested; I will provide more information even make short video of how I use it if there is interest. I think I can do engraving functions with this device that would be very difficult to do with two hands. Again, I could make a video that some may find amusing.

Attachments

• IMG_1161.jpg
    IMG_1161.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1159.jpg
    IMG_1159.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Si si

Amazing! Very very encouraging and motivating to say the least. And I would love to see the video.

Spark

Response to requests for videos:
The engraving video not being center bothers me to, the phone moved when I pushed the start button.
Here are two video Links. One is how I control the table with my arm. In 2 I am generating a single line shape with no beginning or end without stopping. Material is a short piece of titanium shaft, GRS turntable and vice, Steve Lindsay palm control with carbide graver. I started diligently trying to engrave text recently and am finding the nonstop ability useful. If there is anyone out there that would like more information, don’t hesitate to ask.
Click on the corresponding link to view videos:
  • 1165 Operating turntable
  • 1163 Single line Ti engraving

R.Quecke

Response to requests for videos:
The engraving video not being center bothers me to, the phone moved when I pushed the start button.
Here are two video Links. One is how I control the table with my arm. In 2 I am generating a single line shape with no beginning or end without stopping. Material is a short piece of titanium shaft, GRS turntable and vice, Steve Lindsay palm control with carbide graver. I started diligently trying to engrave text recently and am finding the nonstop ability useful. If there is anyone out there that would like more information, don’t hesitate to ask.
Click on the corresponding link to view videos:
  • 1165 Operating turntable
  • 1163 Single line Ti engraving
this is wonderful to see.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just amazing.
You faced up to a significant challenge, and actually have created a significant leap in the process with the capability of doing the infinite line.

Do you feel any discord with the gearing putting the rotations of your arm out of sync with the turntable. I imagine you get in the groove pretty quick. Clearly you are in the groove!

Latest posts

Sponsors