Question: Advice on letting A business use my design

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
I got a request today. From a lady commisioned to create a logo for a national coffee shop chain. She says she likes one of my Hobo Nickels in particular. Wants to know If I would be intrested. No money was offered and I do not want to give up any rights to my images really. On the otherhand, the thought of having my art used in such a way that it becomes visible to a much larger group of people is exciting.

I have no experience with anything like this. Advice, suggestions, warnings are all welcomed.

Thanks,
Johnny

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
If they have a chain of coffee shops they can afford you talent at the moment they want you you haven't gone looking for them so dont sell yourself short and only give up your image rights if the price is right as it stands you are in the driving seat and should they go elsewhere they may have to pay more or get a cheaper job.

ray

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Johnnny: I would say " Show Me The Money". You don't know what they are going do with your artwork, so talk to an attorney about a licensing agreement. These people are phishing trying to get something for nothing. Talk to Sam about it.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Johnny: If it's for a logo you will most certainly have to give them complete ownership of the image. No company is going to use something they don't own for their brand/logo.

It's for this reason that iStock images are prohibited for use in or as part of company logos.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't sell it cheap either. When it is used in that way the artist gets absolutely no recognition or advertisement from it. Nothing. The only value you get out of it is what they pay you up front for its use. Once the money exchanges no one is even going to remember your name as the one who did the artwork.

SO don't let it go cheap.

Ray

Andrew Biggs

Forget image rights, royalties, morals or ethics. All of them are totally unrealistic.

Sell them the picture/design and leave it at that.....or give it to them for free.

The large business agencies like Saatchi &Saatchi command large prices because they work for large international clients. The vast majority of designers are small businesses that do not charge a lot for their work. There is a very weird perception that these guys make a ton of money. Some do and most don't. I worked with them for over 30 years and the perception does not match the facts.

The harsh reality is that there are a gazillion designers out there. All of them are hungry. As for images, they are everywhere and cheap or even free and as Chris (above) has said, all they need to do is alter it slightly.

They have approached you. Ask for a small payment or give it away and feel pleased that they asked in the first place.

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You are so right, Andrew. Many people are under the misconception that designers make huge amounts of money for these types of things. When I did the design for the Crown Royal box a few years ago I charged $750. My iStock images net a few dollars each. If the customer purchases and Extended License I might make $100-$150. If not, I only make a few dollars. But the catch is I still own the rights to the image and can sell it to multiple customers.

For a logo Johnny has no option but to sign over all rights to the artwork, and he's not going to make a killing in the process. Should it be a big company like Starbucks he'll enjoy bragging rights and can make use of that feather in his cap, which is far greater reward than whatever cash payment he's paid for the work.

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys, I think a modest amount of money in echange for rights to the image sounds fair. And like Sam said, having the feather in your cap can be the most valuable part of the deal if there company pans out for them.

On a side note, I have sold almost everything I have created at the bench, jewelery and engravings alike, for years. I have never had a problem letting a piece go. I have never sold the rights to an image though. This somehow seems harder to do for me.

Neo Dutch

Elite Cafe Member
Designed this in '92 or so and sold it for a "thank you" and the chance to have something to brag about.

Latest posts

Sponsors