Question: air graver vs. hammer/push graver

troutbox

hello to the forum. i am new here but not new to engraving. i have been engraving for about 7 years but in the last two i have started to get serious. everything i have done has been done using hand gravers with a chase hammer or push graver. i have been unable to justify or afford an air set up. now, a friend is gonna do a barter for a new air set up. i was wondering if there is a simple, GENERAL percentage number to compare how much time will be saved using an air set up vs. all by hand.

the reason i ask is to get a feel for pricing. i have kept track of my hours for certain things and want to be able to ballpark the same work done with air.

maybe i'm asking too broad a question but all answers are appreciated. thanks.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I believe everyone should try H&C and hand push engraving before they think about power assist,also learn how to draw. J.J.

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hard to say if it will help your speed, not knowing your production rate now.
The fastest engravers I have ever seen were the Belgium FN factory engravers and also some of the English factory engravers. All using hammer and chisel.
But if you feel a pneumatic tool will make your life easier, go for it.
In the end it's about how long you can work and be comfortable doing it.

monk

Staff member
i totally agree with jj. there is a definite increase in production using the air toys for most people. these, along with a couple of favorite graver/geometry combos makes for much enjoyable work. h&c or push can be done quickly with lots of practice. look at some videos, some h&c people are both good and fast. all in how you train yerself.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I have been practicing hand push script lettering. I suggest you try it. Putting lettering on items for people is a way to make some money to get that air system. Winter's School of Jewelry Engraving is a good source for information. If you can find it. I use a no. 45 flat and a 105 degree graver seems to work best for me.

troutbox

thanks for the input. i suppose there is no substitute for figuring the difference out on my own. but was just curious. seemed like a good jump off point.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
troutbox,If you study the engraving of the successfully engravers on this forum there's a reason they know how to draw. J.J.

troutbox

i agree. i probably would not have even attempted to start engraving if i didn't have an art background.

Latest posts

Sponsors