Airtact test flight

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just put the GRS Airtact through a commercial test flight.
It worked pretty good for me.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,
I'd half-to-say that you prety well got a handle on that little do-dad-very nice work indeed-simple but quit bright and effective-you can puff your chest a bit on this one. Fred

Last edited:

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian you can't use an Airtact to fly. You guys from Ohio think everything can fly. I don't know what it is:)
By the way absolutely beautiful work. That's going to get blued right. If so please post afterwords.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Looks like you're doing great Brian. What handpieces are you using with Airtact? Are you using the Footpod when stippling?

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks to all for the Kudos.........
(BTW---This is the 2008 Gun of the Year for the American Handgunner Magazine.)
The gun will be blued.

Sam, I'm using the Monarch. My other handpiece is the Magnum, but the Airtact handle isn't available yet.
As far as stippling----yes, I do use and love the Footpod, but I've also been experimenting with removing the hose from the Footpod and placing it in my mouth and using my tongue to actuate the handpiece----the control is absolutely incredible----it just feels kinda weird.

Brian

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Really nice job on a tough-to-cut Ruger.
But anyone who can beat music out of a steel drum can whip a Ruger :)
A great first flight with your Airtact, Brian.

Best regards, John.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Wow...with the Monarch?! I have the light spring in my Monarch and reserve it for really fine work. My 901 gets most use with the Airtact, and I use the light spring in that one as well.

GRS has promised an Airtact knob for the big kahuna Magnum handpiece.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, Sam
I have been field testing the Airtact Magnum handpiece. It is flat out amazing. It has the power to whoof out the metal but most interesting, I can step it down and actually do some fine shading with it too.
Really nice job on the Ruger Brian. Especially impressive is the fact you did the whole thing with a Monarch.WOW

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty,Sam---I almost purchased the 901 w/Airtact control, but heard about the Magnum prototype and decided to wait for that instead.
Can't wait to test out the Magnum/Airtact.
I've had some pretty good service out of the Monarch.........using both springs.

John,you're right,the Ruger cylinder,hammer and loading gates are pretty tough stuff.
The barrel is a custom after market octagon----fairly easy to cut as was the frame and grip extension.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

I've always wondered, do you ever put the cylinder on a lathe to cut the concentric rings for the gold inlays? It's the only way I could get them that even!

"Inquiring minds want to know."

Mark

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark, I've never used a lathe for the concentric rings, but I believe it is the best way to go for consistency.
A lathe is on my "must have" list....right up there with a vertical mill, rolling mill, really good digital camera,light box, GraverMach,bluing tanks,nickle plating tanks, yada,yada,yada............

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I love the work you did on that Ruger Brian. I liked it BEFORE bluing, but the AFTER bluing pictures...all I can say is WOW!

Nice work and thanks for posting it,
Peter

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know what kind of bluing that is but it did a nice job of NOT hiding your detail work. I really like the elements you chose for this piece, especially those Churchillesque leaves...

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Peter,Marcus,Tim,Michael.......Thanks for the Kudos.

Tim: No secret with the bluing....Just Brownells Oxynate #7 salts.(Really)

If done correctly, the bluing will just enhance your work,but here's the real secret:

Fix everything BEFORE it goes into the bluing tank!!!!!!

Marcus: How's our good friends at Rolls-Royce these days?

Patternweldor

Hi Brian,
The engraving you did on the Ruger looks just great, I really like your design. It is truly a case where the bluing didn't take away from the look, so it must have something to do with the composition of the design.

Thanks for showing it!
Chris

Latest posts

Sponsors