An etching from my panto-graph.

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Dan&Dad last temp.jpg 10-04-2011 08;08;33PM.JPG 10-09-2011 04;52;47PM.JPG Its been to long since i've posted any thing. So I thought i'd post this. I sarted by reworking a photo, brought the size down to 5 inch by 5 inch. Traced it on my pantograph mach at 1 1/2 inch. For an acid resist I used clear laquer. Etched it with acid and colored it with Prismacolor pencils. Don't know what to do with the faces I don't have a flesh color.

It's not perfect but have learneda lot.

Jim Sackett

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim, I like the basic concept, but not the coloring. It's better IMHO as a simple line drawing. My main concern however, is the eyes with those pinpoint pupils! That just looks weird and creepy, sorry!

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it's been too long--welcome back, jim. diamond dragging from anything without a groved template is a real challenge. moreso when trying to copy something such as a foto. i agree with doc, i'd forget the color. those pencil fills will disappear rather quickly if this item is to be worn or handled. considering my experience with such techniques, i'd guess you'll not get a trace much better than this one.if you want to do more than one, i'd advise creating several copies of the foto. the paper will eventually tear from the stylus pressure. :thumbsup:

monk

Staff member
jim : there may be some program that could scan the foto & convert it to lines. way easier if you could do that.

monk

Staff member
well, good luck.i made custom panto temps for a few years for the "things remembered" store chain. this was prior to my acquiring the "new" technology. even though i did a lot of complicated stuff for them, they knew not to give me anything of a type other than straight- forward line work. i earned a lot of cash doing them. but was ousted by that pesky "new" technology. :eek: let us know how you make out.

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
Letterpress polymer plates are great for panto templates. Very tough.
Boxcar press turns around the job in 1 day. Give them a pdf file where
the black lines are the grooves you need. Remember to mirror the image
because that seems to be what happens in their process.

monk

Staff member
jim : you can cut templates in regular old engravers plastic. cuts very easy. a # 53 round graver produces a groove that most panto styli will track in. it is pretty essential to use power to do this. if you do strictly by hand, the grooves tend to have bumps here & there which will cause problems when tracing.

monk

Staff member
jim: if the syuff isn't a good color to draw on, use a light spritz coat of flat, white, aerosol paint. good to draw on & usually will not flake when you cut the grooves in the template.

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the tip Monk. I have a bottle of that Transfer Magic I'm gonna try. I also have the geletin for transfering. Hope to do it tomorrow.
I bought a pack of 48 Crayolas and on the box they advertized A free turn photos into color pages program. I checked it out and it produces a nice outline
of any colored photo. COOL :biggrin:

Sponsors