Any mistake can be fixed

Stefan

Elite Cafe Member
The topic is relevant.
Everyone sometimes makes mistakes. The question is how to remove them?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Many mistakes such as incorrect cross-overs of linking scroll can be corrected by the inlay of a piece of material that closely matches the background material.
Soft iron binding wire will match most carbon steel when blued and stainless steel binding wire will match most stainless items. The thinner the object the more difficult the repair.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know any engraver better at this than Sam Welch. Years ago Sam did a seminar on this at the FEGA show. That was the best Seminar I have ever seen to date. I use to fill some small defects in castings with a tig welder but since then use iron inlays. All forms of bluing or browning will cover iron inlays of the proper material with the exception of heat bluing. Heat bluing will expose any irregularity in the material.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I’ve probably made every mistake that can be made and only one wasn’t fixable, and that was a small gold charm with the name going down instead of up and it didn’t match the other charms. I had to fabricate one from scrap so that one cost me. The rest were fixable, or should I say disguisable.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know a excellent tig and laser welder, that have got me out of a few hum err slip ups. Find the boo boo

Attachments

• 4AEAF018-F980-4EDC-BABD-5C1956485EFA.jpeg
    4AEAF018-F980-4EDC-BABD-5C1956485EFA.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 121

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
The boo boo it seems, at least to me, would be Ducks Unlimited on a rifle...

Thanks Jerry ("checks in the mail").

I once was asked to salvage a rather nice custom Beasley style revolver with 4 removable barrels and 2 cylinders of different calibers that had what appeared to be beginner engraved scroll work. By filling unwanted (and heavily cut) lines and taking a bit of artistic license with the design of the scroll, I was able to convert the piece to look rather nice. It took over 350 separate soft wire inlays to accomplish the conversion.

Last edited:

Stefan

Elite Cafe Member
Made with high quality. No errors are visible.
But, probably, these are figures of 1937 2017.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"The boo boo it seems, at least to me, would be Ducks Unlimited on a rifle..."

LOL. For those clear days when they're flying high and skybustin' with a 10ga just ain't enough!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Slips, fly-outs, and other errors are why it is not recommended to cut through a finish such as plating, anodizing, or bluing. If you do cut through a finish, the only recourse is to change the design.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep I thought it was strange also for a custom anniversary rifle for a DU fundraiser. The graver tip broke on the D letter of unlimited made a huge gouge so welder welded the whole word and I filed an repolished the area. Recut and inlayed.It was custom bottom metal and another floor plate was unobtainable,and of course the bottom metal was already fitted to the rifle.
In the old days Mitch the super goose gun was a 3 inch .410. Custom loaded with about 7 pieces of OO buck shot. 3 inch groups at 100 yds
Until uncle Sam limited size of shot and mandated steel.
Any how a fun job for a great organization

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Cutting through any finish is unprofessional you needs to striped off the bluing or any other finish off and hand polished with wet & dry automotive paper,no buffing keeping pin holes and screw holes free from dishing out and keeping all sharp edges sharp. J.J.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Slips, fly-outs, and other errors are why it is not recommended to cut through a finish such as plating, anodizing, or bluing. If you do cut through a finish, the only recourse is to change the design.
That would also include thin hollow filled jewelry, easily dented, no recourse!

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~