anybody know

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
You are welcome Monk. Thanks for the suggested translation.

As for the recipes I think that the following translations may work:
Recipe #1,
1 kg (2.2 lb) of rosin (colophony)
1 kg (2.2 lb) of chalk or industrial talc
a bit of beef tallow

Recipe # 2, the better one.
300 g (0.66 lb) of beeswax
800 g (1.76 lb) of red ferrite (iron oxide compound)
a bit of beef tallow

The purpose of the fat is to make the sealing wax more flexible so you should add more fat if the test with the newspaper fails.

I am sure you will have great success making your own sealing wax!
you have been a very big help to me in my quest to make a batch. thank you very much

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You are welcome Monk. Thanks for the suggested translation.

As for the recipes I think that the following translations may work:
Recipe #1,
1 kg (2.2 lb) of chalk or industrial talc
a bit of beef tallow

Recipe # 2, the better one.
300 g (0.66 lb) of beeswax
800 g (1.76 lb) of red ferrite (iron oxide compound)
a bit of beef tallow

The purpose of the fat is to make the sealing wax more flexible so you should add more fat if the test with the newspaper fails.

I am sure you will have great success making your own sealing wax!

Is the newspaper test to see that it doesn’t break off the newspaper? Seems a bit hot yet to properly consider it put through its paces... but maybe because you work pitch somewhat warm anyways?

Monica

Hola Mónica, de nada. Ha sido un gusto poder brindarte esa información.
Te aseguro que tu Español es muy bueno... ya veras los horrores que esciben en el foro de Grabadores Artesanos algunos hablantes nativos! :)

Yo viví en España 16 años y he regresado a la Argentina hace tres. No conocí a Dimas personalmente pero hablé con el por teléfono una o dos veces. Una persona realmente encantadora.

Es una buena oportunidad para que practiques tu lenguage materno en un entorno de tu interés. Que lindo!

Bueno, si puedo serte útil en algo más escribe cuando quieras.

Cordiales saludos,
Leonardo

Hola Leonardo, Gracias. Agradesco mucho su ayuda.

Last edited:

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Is the newspaper test to see that it doesn’t break off the newspaper? Seems a bit hot yet to properly consider it put through its paces... but maybe because you work pitch somewhat warm anyways?

The newspaper test is to check the sealing wax flexibility. If it breaks you will need to add more tallow to the preparation and then repeat the test.

monk

Staff member
thanks leonardo,for the recipe. i actually have all at hand, or can get it. all except the resina. wow ! unless i can find a batch reasonably priced, i'm going to hold off on this one for now.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
You are welcome Monk!
You can prepare half of the recipes quantity with this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-lb-Rock-...449177?hash=item4179ce7a99:g:VpIAAOSwPe1UJsbJ

There are a lot of offers in eBay, this vendor offer 5 lbs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-lbs-Pine...474144?hash=item3f1a514820:g:6NMAAMXQcWVRELs7

By the way, I used to make my own soldering flux grabbing (harvesting?) the resin from the pines in the woods. Problem is that you will need to distill the turpentine from the resin to obtain the colophony. Although it is highly rewarding to obtain what you need from the Nature, it is also a hard and nasty job! :)

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
thanks leonardo,for the recipe. i actually have all at hand, or can get it. all except the resina. wow ! unless i can find a batch reasonably priced, i'm going to hold off on this one for now.

If you live near a pine forest,you can pick it for free.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
I would like to add that burning with sealing wax hurts a lot!
So take special care and use gloves and eyes protection. Sebastian recommend in his video that you do not try to pull the wax from your skin. You must cold it in water and then dissolve it with some solvent.

monk

Staff member
Whether or not, I don't know, but 'animal fat' may be translated to 'tallow', which may translate to 'lanolin'. Sometime, machine shops use food grade lanolin to keep their gauges from rusting, and the tool catalogs used to carry the stuff that was dispensed in small toothpaste-type tubes. As costs, today, might be too high for a singular item, ask around and maybe someone might give you just a little that you could formulate for your needs. I've never mixed any with sealing wax like we used in high school print shop, but maybe it'll work!
nice to see you back on the forum, ron. tyvm

monk

Staff member
If you live near a pine forest,you can pick it for free.
there's jillions of pine trees around here, but am loathe to try and burn off the volatiles. my old lady is kinda fussy about her kitchen. i once made mike du's transfer wax formula. sadly, i used the chapstick that had camphor or menthol in it. my wife still chirps about that !!

monk

Staff member
thanks to all that responded. a special thanks to leonardo for the one link. i was able to order some at about half the price that i first checked on.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
there's jillions of pine trees around here, but am loathe to try and burn off the volatiles.
You need to find a pitch pine. It will have big gobs of hardened resin oozing out of the bark. Seems like diseased trees had the most. I always gathered mine while deer hunting in Colorado. Carried a small ax with me just for that purpose. Once gathered, I put them in a bean can and set it alongside the evening campfire....not letting it get too hot. Once it was done, I took a stick and fished the small twigs and bugs out of it. Once cooled it hardens like a rock.

I ran cross an old recipe whereby you mix it with powdered charcoal and was used as a glue. Also, used for filling cracks and inclusions in gunstock wood. Kind of like a primitive acraglas. Made it in small batches as you have to remelt it to work it. Once it rehardens, it can be sanded and finished normally.

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
there's jillions of pine trees around here, but am loathe to try and burn off the volatiles. my old lady is kinda fussy about her kitchen. i once made mike du's transfer wax formula. sadly, i used the chapstick that had camphor or menthol in it. my wife still chirps about that !!

My wife said the same thing when I used a belt sander in the basement on a cow horn when making a powder horn.The smell like burning hair was not appreciated in the house.

monk

Staff member
My wife said the same thing when I used a belt sander in the basement on a cow horn when making a powder horn.The smell like burning hair was not appreciated in the house.
i fooled around with horns for awhile. i was (smart ?) used a modified soldering iron. i soon lost interest in the art !

Latest posts

Sponsors