Barry Lee Hands 24k gold overlay work in progress

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you so much for posting this interesting, informative and helpful thread Barry!
Do you undercut the edges of the leaves and vines before applying the gold or do you only raise the teeth?

Hi David, i dont undercut anything, i have done thousands of these, and they dont fall off.

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
If I my ask, How do you find your original outer line of the leaf once gold has spilled over the line, or do you just reshape them to look good and not worry about finding that line Thanks ZZ

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi ZZ, i basically know the shape I made the leaf and trim till it looks correct. If i go to far, i just punch some more and it gets bigger again.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Barry

I have yet to try to inlay gold, I have done a little sterling and a little copper. One of these days I will step up to the big leauges and try gold. You make it look simple although I know there is quite a bit of skill to do it right.

Jim

Diacutter

VERY NICE! It's always a pleasure to see your work. Thank you for sharing. You are truly talented.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
"I call this style of teeth raising louver, or arch.
The punch raises an arch. I am told the arch is the strongest shape in Nature,
in any case its much better and stronger than a tooth"

Barry - would you be willing to describe or show a picture of the punch you use for raising your "arch" style teeth? I find that very interesting! Thanks.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very good thread, Thank you for taking the time to share! Bring us home, please keep posting progression pictures!

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Barry - beautiful sculpting on those leaves and the way you use the round bottom tools is really interesting! Thanks again for posting this.