Base line drawing

vanknife

Elite Cafe Member
Good day All,
Would this be a good base line drawing for a knife Bolster?

Any comments please

Thanks

"VAN"

Attachments

• Sketch for bolster.jpg
    Sketch for bolster.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 156

en2siastic

May be you should be more generous with your scroll, it is a plant that needs to have leaves to catch the light and the fresh morning dew....
Have a nice day.
Francis.

Attachments

• IMG_WEB.jpg
    IMG_WEB.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 163

vanknife

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Francis,

This looks great and I really appreciate your help. I agree fully with Chris it is very generous of you.

I am sure I will get there one day.

Cheers

"VAN"

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the overwhelming tendency today seems to be "cover every possible square milimeter of surface with something" i dont agree with this theory. the engravings you see are all beautiful without question, but i think way "over done" i believe your design suffers from slightly underdone and the nervous hand of the unpracticed beginner. only practice will cure this. your mind has taken you in the right direction, practice will soon get you in the right place. as to placing too much design in a given space- look in the forum for a posting by tira mitchell. she shows a floor plate and grip cap she did for a rifle. both are a balance of maybe 50% desaign, 50% background. her design here is not at all complex. compared to much of the design seen on the forum, one might say it's rather simple in nature. but guess what, if i were charged with awarding the blue ribbon for best engraving shown on the forum- of all that i've seen, her floor plate and grip cap would get it ! i have probably created several enemies by saying this, but shoot me for how i feel . keep drawing, and keep cutting !

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
the overwhelming tendency today seems to be "cover every possible square milimeter of surface with something" i dont agree with this theory. the engravings you see are all beautiful without question, but i think way "over done" i believe your design suffers from slightly underdone and the nervous hand of the unpracticed beginner. only practice will cure this. your mind has taken you in the right direction, practice will soon get you in the right place. as to placing too much design in a given space- look in the forum for a posting by tira mitchell. she shows a floor plate and grip cap she did for a rifle. both are a balance of maybe 50% desaign, 50% background. her design here is not at all complex. compared to much of the design seen on the forum, one might say it's rather simple in nature. but guess what, if i were charged with awarding the blue ribbon for best engraving shown on the forum- of all that i've seen, her floor plate and grip cap would get it ! i have probably created several enemies by saying this, but shoot me for how i feel . keep drawing, and keep cutting !

I do and do not agree with what you are writing.
1) Over doing the engraving is not a new concept, I can show you countless sample of engraving from the 15, 16 17 and before which were over done.
2) We do not engrave in a vacuum, we most of the time engrave pre-existing utilitarian object, if you engrave a rifle or a shotgun, the “gradeâ€￾ of the wood should be a consideration so is the value of the support. One does not engrave the same thing on a military, base, bolt action or on a H & H bolt action.
3) We most of the time get commission to engrave an object, the desires, tastes and budget of our client should also be a consideration as to the final result
4) We do not engrave only to please ourselves. We need to use our clients, as well as the objects that we are engraving, to move forward, to do work that we are not completely comfortable doing. If we do not move forward and adapt to the circumstances we will do the same thing over and over again and it will get terribly boring.
5) There is nothing like too much or too little, too simple or too complex such things are too relative. The only thing which really matter is the result. Is your work appropriate to the given support? Are you somewhat please with the result? Is your client satisfied? Did you enjoy yourself?

Engraverdavid

I have to agree with Theirry. A friend of mine who is an excellent musician once told me that there are only two types of music, good music and bad music. The same can be said of designs in engraving or any other art form. While much of what is good in a work of art is subjective there are some basic principles that run through good design which are fairly universal. It is not a matter of whether a design is complex or sparse. It is simply a matter of how the work is handled. We have all seen beautiful work on both ends of the spectrum.

Latest posts

Sponsors