basic gun engraving?

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
Is basic gun engraving done with a 120degree or a 90degree?? I bought a pre sharpend "Lindsay V Grind" cant wait to get it. I guess my question is what your tool of choice for basic scroll engraving in mild steel?

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have used a variety of graver shapes over the years. Used ongalettes in various sizes but as of late I seem to prefer v shaped tools in 70, 90 and 105 shapes.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You can use any graver that works. I prefer a 120 for most of my work, but that's not saying it's any better than anything else. The 90 or 120 each have different characteristics and should serve you well.

Andrew Biggs

I use a 90 degree square most of the time. In saying that I'm trying to look at bit wider range of shapes and angles like onglettes etc. depending on what I'm doing, instead of automatically reaching for the 90. I also do a lot of the shading with a 70 degree.

I do like the Lindsay grind on the 90 as it seems to throw up less of a burr on really tight turns etc. However that could also be just a case bad technique on my part with regular grinds :)

For removing background I generally use small flats with the belly ground out just behind the heel. This seems to keep the walls of the engraving intact a lot better.

I've been using John B's clever gravers quite a bit latley and they're great.

Cheers
Andrew

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Like Marty I have been using the ongalette for many years, but have been exerimenting with the 120 and the 90, and I think I like the 90 the best. The ongalette is a little tricky to sharpen, but I find it works well for me with hammer and chisel, and handgraver. Keep up the good work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ
Try a 105 graver. When I was out in Emporia for an instructors meeting, we were talking and DJ said he likes a 105 as a split the difference between the 90 and 120. He liked it as it was a middle ground of advantages and disadvanteges between the two. Well I needed a new graver to sharpen up as we were to do some feild testing and I made one up. I did like it so now i have a few in the bit tray. It cuts a real nice line and it's not as hard to control as a 120. I am going to recommend it to my students in Trindad, Co and see how they like it after getting used to the 90 which is the easiest to learn to sharpen and control.
I still like the ongalettes for inlaying...hold habits I suppose
Marty

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Griff, you have to use a graver suitable to the job. Use as narrow a graver you can, for fine lines, depending on the hardness of the materials. A narrow graver will give you a finer line, but be more vulnerable and will cut straight lines better than curved ones. This matters especially when you get down to tiny radii tendrils and spirals. A wider tool will turn better and leave less damage to the cut, is strong, and won't cut straight lines as accurately. That is what you need to remember, so it is a balancing act between materials, size and intricacy of the work, skill with the tools and purpose of the cut. You can actually do a whole job with one tool depending on the kind of work you are doing........ I think the question was "basic" engraving. The short answer is yes, the 120 degree point will work fine......... and that is my two cents on the subject........Ron S

Latest posts

Sponsors