Bausch and Lomb 4

Caldrich

So I recently Purchased a Bausch & Lomb stereo 4 I was wondering if anybody knew what light and fixture to get for that microscope
thank you

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i fooled around for years with a variety of lights. i ended up buying a ring light from leonardo , a forum member. the light is pricey but well worth it. i'm not sure if he still makes them.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The problem with the B&L appears to be its squarish shape which might prevent normal ring light attachment designed to mount on round scopes. There has to be a solution though. You might contact B&L and see what they recommend. You could always machine a short tube that would thread into the bottom of the scope to attach a ring light to.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
I have a B&L StereoZoom 4 and, as Sam said, the problem to add a ring light to it is its shape.
You must add an accessory to it to be able to attach the light. I was lucky enough to find a glass (just a simple glass, no a lens) to protect the optics from the fumes produced when soldering electronics under the microscope. There are also Barlow lenses for these microscopes.

Another problem that you will face is that the ring light will take some of your working distance because the microscope's objective will not pass through the internal diameter of the ring light.
In the case of my light it would take as much as 40 mm of your working distance what will make it unusable unless you have a Barlow lens of 0.5X or even better 0.3X.

Perhaps it will be better for you to look for a dual gooseneck illuminator.

Attachments

• B&L_1.jpg
    B&L_1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 13
  • B&L_2.jpg
    B&L_2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 12

Caldrich

There is an adapter that will screw onto the bottom of the scope. The problem I’m having is finding the right size. I’m not having any luck with that yet.

Caldrich

I have a B&L StereoZoom 4 and, as Sam said, the problem to add a ring light to it is its shape.
You must add an accessory to it to be able to attach the light. I was lucky enough to find a glass (just a simple glass, no a lens) to protect the optics from the fumes produced when soldering electronics under the microscope. There are also Barlow lenses for these microscopes.

Another problem that you will face id that the ring light will take some of your working distance because the microscope's objective will not pass through the internal diameter of the ring light.
In the case of my light it would take as much as 40 mm of your working distance what will make it unusable unless you have a Barlow lens of 0.5X or even better 0.3X.

Perhaps it will be better for you to look for a dual gooseneck illuminator.
I’ve been looking for the Barlow lens just not sure of the right one.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
There is an adapter that will screw onto the bottom of the scope. The problem I’m having is finding the right size. I’m not having any luck with that yet.
easy solution: ugly as hell, but super glue , epoxy, or hot melt worked for me on my leica.

Travis_UT

Based on Monks advice a few months ago I hot glued a barlow lense to a 38mm adapter. I had a realy hard time finding a barlow that would mount right to my leica.

Latest posts

Sponsors