Beading Tools

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Rob here with a question for my brothers and sisters, I reecently purchased a pack of beading tools from Tira and now I have to find out how to use them. Are they used with my Artisan under power? Or Are they used with a hammer please?

Last edited:

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
Traditionaly beading tools were used by hand. The tool is inserted in to a wooden handle. That looks like a graver-handle. But with a hole the size of the beading tool. Then you would push and rotate on the metal burr you would want to turn in to a bead.

Now as Jerry said, you can also use them in your handpiece. Try different power settings. And see what you like and what works.

I believe that they are not used with a hammer. But it might work.

If the tools get dull you can reshape them and make a working beading tool out of it again. Or use the old tool and sharpen it in to a graver.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They also sell a beading block for rebeading the beading tools! You just hammer the beading tool into the beading block to reshape.

monk

Staff member
THE METHOD OF choice depends on the effect you seek. stippling with them would go much faster with air assist. would also look much better. beads placed carefully will almost require hammering one-at-a-time.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
Thanks to all who responded to my question on beading tools. I will try both, handle and power assist. Thanks...Rob

WMS

In my experience as a jeweler beading blocks are of limited use, as modern beading tools are both hard and tough. Therefore they do not reshape easily. The ones I purchase are under a dollar each (less if bought in quanities of 3 or 10). The old dull ones are a ready source of quality hardened tool steel which is easily reshaped into other tools, making replacement a very viable option in my not so humble opinion.
http://www.ottofrei.com/glardon-vallorbe-beading-tools

WMS

I believe that both of these vendors are selling the same tool. I have no financial arrangement with ether of them and have done business with both, however I have ordered more over the years from Otto Frei.

Sponsors