Beginner asking for vice input

maxfromsweden

Good day,

I'm a hobbyist woodworker and would like to try out engraving. Do you think my woodworking vice is enough to learn on as a beginner?

I've looked at engraver balls and even got an offer from facebook: A woman would like to sell me the vice attached below for 200 usd. Do you think it's a fair price?

I've ordered two graver blanks, have my sketchpad ready ( bakground in fine arts ) and already have the other things: chaser, diamond stones and alot of plate to work on.

I can't join a course now, due to covid. But i understand that would cut down on the learning curve. If you have any other advice, please let me know.

Sincerely, Max from Sweden

Attachments

• 1vice.jpg
    1vice.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 59
  • 2vice.jpg
    2vice.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 58

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if the vise is grs it is a bargain. if a foreign-made knockoff, no bargain there. try sending better fotos. esp if ther's logos or info stamped into the metal. for me, a wood workers vise would be useless. however, one goes to war with what one has, not what one wants. do a bit of search here. it may surprize you the info that's available.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Re: courses--check out Sam Alfano's engraving videos. I think that all are available on DVD and most are available for download from MasterEngraving.com.

DAS

Looks like it could be an antique vise. If the ball is split in two at the join the makers mark is often stamped on the inside face.

Latest posts

Sponsors