Help, please: Beginner

Wcjohnston

Hello everyone, I'm needing some good advice on how to get started. I dont have a lot of money to start out. I want to try push engraving but have no tools, i am not sure what to do. Is their a kit that I can get or a couple basic gravers to start with that would do most cuts? Also a sharpener, and a ball vise would be nice but are very expensive! Please give suggestions! I dont know of any local engravers, I live in Lewistown Mo. If anyone nearby sees this please contact me. I want to go about this the cheapest but right way to start out, thanks!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Welcome to the Cafe.
I assume you've read the TOOL LIST FOR BEGINNERS at the top of the page.
Also read the Ken Hunt thread which shows how to sharpen gravers for hand pushing, and I have a hand push video on YouTube you can check out.
It'll be a long and slow process without taking a class or having someone teach you the basics, but many of us have done that. The Jewelry Engravers Manual has quite a bit of info on hand push engraving, and don't overlook hammer & chisel if you intend to engrave steel.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome. all are (understandably) quite eager to start asap. this can lead you to spend money that may better serve you by investigating much and spend slowly. the first tool to consider buying:;- a good set of mechanical pencils. all too often newbies buy all the toys with no thought of developing drawing skills. most will agree, this set of skills will be the base that makes for excellent engraving. good luck.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Please follow Sam’s and Monks suggestions. Learning to draw is just as important as sharping your tools. If you are in Jefferson City drop me a line I will be happy to give you the nickel tour and my .10 cent class.
Skill comes from diligence.

DARNEW

After years of engraving everything from saddle silver to trophy buckles, knifes and a few guns, the one thing that I have learned is that the stuff that looked and sold the best did not have the best engraving on it, but had outstanding design. It is the art work and design that has stood out over the years. I am now spending more time drawing than I ever have for that reason. Like Sam say`s, Draw,Draw, Draw.

Latest posts

Sponsors