Question: Best bench stone for polishing hss gravers?

aaronhlin

Hello,

I was told that black Arkansas stone, ceramic bench stone, and ruby stone can all polish a hss graver. I would like to know among the three, which one produces the highest polish on a hss graver? The reason for asking is because I cannot afford a ceramic lap.

Last edited:

sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The highest polish would probably be the ruby stone, which will also work on carbide gravers. Ceramic stones are excellent as well, but I believe the ruby stone will produce a mirror polish that exceeds what ceramic can do.

If you have a power hone, then I would suggest getting a cast iron lap and diamond powder from GRS. It polishes both HSS and carbide gravers so brightly and perfectly you won't believe it.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my limited xperience says it's the grit size not really the material from which the grit is made.

Aventuraal

I have both a Degussit stone I bought 40-45 years ago, and 2 of the Chinese ruby stones I bought recently. The Chinese ones came with obvious saw marks from being slabbed off the blank, as well as surfaces covered in minute but very noticeable pitting. I had to polish the surfaces with carbide powder by rubbing them against each other to remove the slab saw marks (and it didn't take long, either.......!). The Degussit, on the other hand, looks like new, with a flawless surface, just like the day it came. Buy once, cry once.

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
I second the fine degussit stone, I use it with either oil (does not penetrate the stone) or with a polishing compound like Simichrome.

I found all my degussit stones all on ebay (needs patience!!), there is also sometimes a coarse version that is not produced anymore.

Cheers

Ralf

Frank Bagbey

Hello,

I was told that black Arkansas stone, ceramic bench stone, and ruby stone can all polish a hss graver. I would like to know among the three, which one produces the highest polish on a hss graver? The reason for asking is because I cannot afford a ceramic lap.
I have a small Ruby Red Polishing Stone that would put mirror finishes on gravers. I should point out that is not always what one wants for best results.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Remember that asking for a ruby stone is not enough info. Gesswein has high quality ruby stones, but you can get them in different grits. Their fine ones make very bright surfaces. I found them back in the day for use in making mirror polish bearing surfaces on various pistol and revolver sears and contact points. They come in triangular, rectangular, and other forms in small sizes for polishing triggers and jewelry surfaces. The also come in larger bench stones. The larger bench stones get pretty pricy, but you will get your money's worth out of those great stones if you want a mirror polish type of finish. The various ruby stones available from Gesswein have been used by jewelers and dentists for many decades. They had a great reputation when I got my first ones by in the 1970s.

keith cranmer

Hello,

My methods:
Your tool can be shaped in any way on sharpening stones. I've never found the machine sharpening tool to be of use. Polish the belly of your engraving tool, the stones are really for shaping the tools cutting edge, to polish use 4/0 Emery Paper (careful not to use Emery Cloth Paper). Place paper onto a smooth (thicker is better) plate of glass and polish to a perfect mirror shine. Best to always keep this paper perfectly clean. The used treated areas on your paper after polishing a belly edge are perfect for obtaining a perfect polish on the next tool. I cut the paper the width of an mailing envelop and store it within to keep the paper clean and free of any dirt until ready to use again. Careful to keep the burr from shaping on the stone from embedding onto-into your 4/0 emery paper, if it does it will always ruin your mirror finish edge. I keep a small piece of 4/0 paper used only to remove the burr prior to polishing the tool on your good paper. enjoy engraving!
Keith Cranmer, (510) 917-3533

Latest posts

Sponsors