Best (cheapest) place for Jun-Air oil?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i'm about out and was wondering if anybody knew where to find slightly less outrageously priced SJ-27 oil for Jun-Air compressors?

i was told years ago that Werther Panthers use the exact same stuff, which makes sense given that they're high quality Italian made clones, right down to many interchangeable parts.

:tiphat:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i was given a new jun-air, still in the crate. included in the gift were 2 quarts (maybe liters?) so i don't know. i have enough to oil my wheelchair when they take me to the home!

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Mitch: I have a Sil-Air compressor and I have had good luck with Lowes Cobalt synthetic compressor oil. It comes in a 16oz bottle, Part number 0221009, I think it's about $10.00 a bottle. The Sil-Air oil costs about $26.00 a bottle for a 24oz bottle and is made for Sil-Air and super silent compressors. I've used the Lowes oil for About 6 years and my compressor is still runing. I've had the compressor for 13+ years and the reason I switched was because of the price of the Sil-Air oil. I learned about it from Ray Cover.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
There was discussion about this a long time ago, Mitch. I think someone compared the data sheets (MDS or whatever you call them) and there is a low cost oil that's the same as Sil-Air's. It's here somewhere. I'll dig around later.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
image.jpg Here is a photo ,I bought this 5 gal about 7/8 years ago $110.00 with shipping, from NJ I think. The 32 is a ISO # which would equal SAE 10. Pretty sure
Manufacturer is PSI. In Mass 1-800-628-9034 good luck

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
thanks, Dave! with 5 gal of the stuff you could get some bottles and start selling it @ $10/pt and make a nice profit...

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Any time I got mad over the $32 bucks a qt, so asked for a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) found this company.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Having recently pickup up a used Silentaire I'd been checking the archives and browsing the internet on this subject as well.
For the first flush I ended up just picking up the OEM oil, but here's a bit of relevant info.
What I found was ISO32 roughly translates to between SAE15 and SAE10- fairly close. That is just the physical property though... basically how well it flows. More important I think is the composition. What I found was the oil is synthetic di-ester based (the primary ingredient). Not surprisingly that's a common compressor oil. Wha'ts uncertain is the extent to which additional ingredients vary by manufacturer/brand. My guess is that any synthetic di-ester compressor oil SAE 10W will suffice.
Jeremy
P.S. While I can understand the language I am not a ChemE and don't play one on the internet.

chathu

Hi, I have the same question here and wondering if SAE 10W will wirk in my Sil-Air 50-24V. This one has been used roughly and being left away for sometime (I dont know for how long). I could get it for a suprisingly bargained price (the sellers had know idea about it and it was bothering him with occupying his store space) and was in good condition (apart from missing filter regulators, start relays and thermal overload protectors, etc :) )
Powered it up just to check and found it running like a new one. Thought of replacing the oil completely before starting use it and searching for a good oil. Air compressor oils are hard to find, expensive but motor oils we have in ample supply. Please let me know if SAE 10W is good enough to run this baby for long years without much problem.
Thanks

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
DO NOT USE 10W MOTOR OIL!
Motor oil has a different composition and although the flow characteriscs measure the same it will not work the same. Think of it as vinegar and water flowing similarly. The same but oh so different. You need a synthetic diester compressor oil.
Jeremy

Michaelwood

Well guys it's my first post but it's 2020 and this thread is still relevant! I was looking at some iso32 oils but they noted them for vane compressors. Could anybody confirm iso 32 is good?

Not to make you guys jealous but I got my jun air used for $30, the oil is way over due for a change. It's 30 years old.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well guys it's my first post but it's 2020 and this thread is still relevant! I was looking at some iso32 oils but they noted them for vane compressors. Could anybody confirm iso 32 is good?

Not to make you guys jealous but I got my jun air used for $30, the oil is way over due for a change. It's 30 years old.
Sounds like you can afford the expensive oil

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::

i aint jealous a bit. so far i have been given three jun-airs.!! 2 were double heads. one was a single head which was new in its original crate. i ended up doing an engraving for a dude that installs new, and repairs or scraps old medical lab equipment. he gave me the two doubles.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes still relevant, you can contact the mfg of your compressor and request a MSDS sheet. They are required by law to provide one free. Then you can cross reference on line or at your local compressor store/repair shop. That is how I ended up with the 5 gal can of oil:):beerchug:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am taking a leap of faith that this is the same, or equivalent, stuff as Jun-Air SJ-27:
https://airinc.net/product/oil-15280/

Werther Panthers are very high quality Italian made Jun-Air clones, right down to interchangeable parts (I used to own a couple back when I was trying to corner the high-end compressor market and their service dept told me they occasionally used Jun-Air parts when their own were backordered), so I'm cautiously optimistic they use a sufficiently similar lubricant. Including shipping, $62 for two 24oz bottles from AirInc.net. The cheapest genuine SJ-27 I could find was $46/bottle.

I just ordered it yesterday so I'll keep y'all posted...

Michaelwood

Guys,

I got amsoil synthetic compressor oil and it seems to be ester oil if I'm not mistaken. Compressor works good but the true test will be weather it protects it adequately over the next 5 or so years so I'll keep you up to date.

Also a viair air filter worked with a female to female coupling. My air filter was missing when I bought this thing

Latest posts

Sponsors