Critique Request Black Leaf?

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Admittedly I spent a lot of time on the shading design but after reading Ron Smith’s book and looking at other designs from Sam, Phil and others I realized that shading is critical to black leaf. So I thought I had better practice getting the 3D effect.

Dan

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Very nice...looks complete, I guess it is on the ipad, but also on the scales. Particular attention is eye catching immediately to the shading and the beauty and realizm it portrays.

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sam, I see what you mean. In this pic I isolated the vine and can see many issues to fix. 5D153E6A-8C5A-4AA6-856F-5253DDCE3DD5.jpeg

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Layering in Procreate makes fixes a whole lot easier. While I was drawing I figured that when cutting the parallel lines of the vines that I should cut one and scribe the other from the first to assure parallel. 57484F6E-7890-42E3-8A3A-7334BBCD3B29.jpeg AED66798-5B34-4D14-916E-D32E18D319E6.jpeg

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
EVERYDAY you learn something on this siteby the people who publish their knowledge freely. I would have never thought of using my dividers in such a way during layout of repeating vine work. Thanks guy's. Rob

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Roger, that is what I figured. I will study Ron Smith’s book a bit more before I try another. Or do you suggest a different resource?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It's blackleaf'ish but not a true blackleaf. Not bad though, but I think with time it will improve. Not my favorite design you've done but it has much potential.

Churchill does the best example you'll ever see. It's worth getting his book from GRS.

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam. Are you referring to the Churchill Eaton Colt 45 book? I was hoping that your new one would be of great help.

DAN

dcurrie911

Elite Cafe Member
I am thinking your new book will be of great help. Not past tense. Getting tired and the words are not flowing any better than my design. ☺️

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yes the Churchill-Eaton book. Well worth having IMO.

I've been studying and struggling with blackleaf for 35 years, and am just now getting to where I'm not ashamed to show it to people. Many do a predictable version where the same butterfly shaped leaf is used over and over. Some are good looking, but when you look at Churchill's, his is a random, living and breathing design. Nothing predictable about it at all, and it flows with such grace and elegance. He's a genius at it.