Buck 325 "finished"

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Finally finished up the little Buck 325 I got for Christmas from my lovely wife. The stainless steel was surprisingly easy to cut, allthough I had lots of "graverpoint chipping" whilst trying to cut the outlines. Used a 116 Lindsay carbalt...switched to a HSS version to cut the outlines after sharpening every 2 mm or so. HSS "slides" somewhat on the stainless, so the outlines have some slight issues. Crazy thing is, that when I started shading and background removal...all was done with the same carbalt I started out with. No more chipping, just resharpened to cut the shading...(must have done something wrong I guess, just don't know what, hahahah)

Anyways...feel free to rip it apart. There are some mistakes there...

Marc
20220321_112538.jpg 20220321_112600.jpg 20220321_112605.jpg 20220321_112802.jpg

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks you very much...much appreciated as always. The help with filling up the space near the blade was also greatly appreciated.

Marc

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
great looking to me. when you chip so many points, try going with a 50 degree face. it's a bit more resistant to chipping. a bit of lube may also help.

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
great looking to me. when you chip so many points, try going with a 50 degree face. it's a bit more resistant to chipping. a bit of lube may also help.
Thanks monk, and thank you for the tip. I did lube...but never thought about increasing the angle of the face. Next time...I will give that a shot...

Marc

Last edited:

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Marc, I really like your knife. When doing hard stainless I have found vibration is a carbide tool killer. In my experience taking the scale off and pressing it into a thick layer of molten hot glue on a hardwood block helps. the block should be thick enough to be against the bottom of the vise. Just my observation it may not work for you. Monk is right about the steeper angle helps a lot.
Very nice job.

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
Marc, I really like your knife. When doing hard stainless I have found vibration is a carbide tool killer. In my experience taking the scale off and pressing it into a thick layer of molten hot glue on a hardwood block helps. the block should be thick enough to be against the bottom of the vise. Just my observation it may not work for you. Monk is right about the steeper angle helps a lot.
Very nice job.
Thank you Leland, I guess I still have to try that 50 degree angle...the block of wood kept everything rigid, but still managed to chip the graver. Maybe I'm "trying" to hard when doing the linework...overly concentrating and therefor pushing the graver down too much....maybe... 20220228_171339.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks monk, and thank you for the tip. I did lube...but never thought about increasing the angle of the face. Next time...I will give that a shot...

Marc
increasing the angle simply puts a bit more metal behind the point making it a bit more resistant.

Latest posts

Sponsors