ceramic laps usable on both sides?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i just horse-traded a GRS ceramic lap from a machinist who wasn't using the one that came with his Accu-Finish. somehow i've managed to live without one all these years. i intend to charge one side with 1/4 micron diamond spray and was wondering if anyone puts a different grit on the flip side? if so, 1/2 or 1 micron? or?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
You can use two grits... if you handle it carefully. The problem comes from transferring the grit on one side to the grit on the other with your fingertips as you pick it up and flip it.

AND wipe off the rubber "O" ring carefully too - if you are using a "quick-change" setup. Otherwise that can contribute to contamination.

I experimented with the 100,000 grit for a while. Not enough difference to make it worth the PITA for me. Your mileage may vary...

Brian

Last edited:

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Mitch. I use 1/2 micron / 50,000 mesh on both sides of my ceramic lap when bright cutting. Takes about 10-15 seconds to bring to mirror finish. I use c-max gravers /Ngraver carbide. I use the GRS wheels through 1200 before using ceramic lap. I will learn something if someone else points out a need for other microns/meshes. I tried using the lap without diamond spray and it took a long time to get to mirror finish and never was as nice a finish as using the diamond spray. For any new guys starting out, make sure the spray is dry or it won't work very well. Hope this helps Mitch.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mitch: Try diamond powder instead of spray and you might never use the spray again. 0.5micron is what I use. Got it from eBay.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
thanks to all!

Brian- i don't use the quick change, but you make a good point about cross-contamination...

Michael (or anyone)- do you think a finer intermediate grit might be better than going 600 > 1200 > ceramic? i.e. maybe use a 1500 or 1800 wheel instead of the usual 1200? i'm shopping for one of those, too, and a variety of other grits are available from places other than GRS...

Sam- how do you apply powder? any suggestions on companies/dealers on ebay so i don't end up with a bag of beach sand?

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Mitch, I use the 1200 then polish on ceramic with .5 micron diamond spray from engraver. Been using the same bottle about 5 years now. Ray recommended the .5 micron. I would try the 1200 /diamond spray on lap before buying another wheel. I thought about buying the cast iron lap but what I'm using works for conchos and various jewelry. I mostly engrave firearms but occasionally get talked into engraving other things. Ussually after a few beers.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam- how do you apply powder? any suggestions on companies/dealers on ebay so i don't end up with a bag of beach sand?

Mitch: I don't use diamond powder on ceramic, but I have and it works. I use it primarily on a cast iron lap when I need an ultra-high polish.

I use a tiny bit...about a match head amount or a little more, and rub it in with my finger. A little goes a LONG way.

This is the stuff I got from eBay. I think I bought 100 carats of it so I have a lifetime supply.

Works GREAT on leather, too. Be sure to use natural, raw, un-oiled tooling leather.

I credit Arnaud for the diamond powder idea.

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, just brought some.. Listing said seller had sold 7 containers of it the last hour and had 3 left to sell...I think the members here were the reason the sales jumped..Thank you for tip.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
The stuff has been around as long as I can remember. Took it for granted that everybody knew about powdered diamond abrasives.

Kinda like the "new" round graver blanks... drill bit blanks have been around longer than anyone on this forum.

I first robbed some powdered diamond from my lapidary toolbox for stropping my swivel knives and round knives in the saddle shop. (early 70's)

Then stropping gravers. (which I quit doing because it rounded the crisp corners on the flat gravers - personal preference)

Then the ceramic laps "came out" for use with sharpening gravers. I already had the lapidary ones... same thing. Less money.

Overpriced diamond spray bottles came on the market around the same time... made up my own from powder & alcohol.

And finally when Chris DeCamillis came up with using cast iron laps for graver sharpening (something that had never crossed my mind) I went and got one out of my lapidary/lap collection to try it out polishing gravers instead of stones. (Use a steel brayer/roller for applying the dry powder)

It worked, and has been part of my routine ever since - for certain specialty gravers.

Brian

Last edited:

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
I use a 1,500... on MY setup. Classroom has 12s.

You can mix your own alcohol spray w/the beach sand, or keep a baby food jar of mineral oil/vaseline/powder mix next to the hone. Dab it on as you need it.

B.

I use a iron lap ("charged" with diamond dust in grease) on a TW Powerhone ... polishes gravers face in 10 to 15 seconds max and heals in a fraction of a second, as Brian mentioned earlier. I never stone the heal, only touch it on the iron lap for a moment. Looks like a mirror when finished. The product that I'm using to "charged" the iron lap is something I got in a auction years ago. It is called "Star Dust" (A-11 grit -Super finish) and was a product of the Ace Abrasive Laboratories...Couldn't find any intel on web search tho ... Im sure the company is long gone.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i found a trick that worked for me. apply a bit of 50 k mesh powder on a piece of paper. place paper on plate glass or other hard, flat surface. polishes like all gitout. i've never compared this way to the charged lap, but seems to work just as well. somewhat superior to the charged leather i used. little chance of rounding points like with leather. in my non wealthy days, i even used cigarette ash. much slower, but made an acceptable polished finish.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
thanks to all!

Brian- i don't use the quick change, but you make a good point about cross-contamination...

Michael (or anyone)- do you think a finer intermediate grit might be better than going 600 > 1200 > ceramic? i.e. maybe use a 1500 or 1800 wheel instead of the usual 1200? i'm shopping for one of those, too, and a variety of other grits are available from places other than GRS...

I use 360, 600, 1500, 3000 diamond grit top laps that are used in lapidary. I am also blessed with the ability to use water coolant which removes all of the dust. I use 100,000k on my ceramic lap on both sides as you will never be able to stop cross contamination. If I really want bright and shiny, I will use 250,000k on a leather plate, I also use the leather lap to dub all my gravers. I do not make my laps do double duty either. One set of laps for gravers and one set for lapidary. As for adding dimond power very small amounts of powder to water or olive oiland a clean finger.

Latest posts

Sponsors