Announcement: Cheap and easy ball vice stand

Hi all, this is my ball vice stand, it comes from those very common piston bar stools and is rather cheap depending on where you get it from. Has anybody seen one like this before, just curious. It turns smoothly and is height adjustable. I would however recommend removing it from under the microscope before pulling the lever as it is really sprung and would possibly wack into the lens if proper body weight was not applied. To make it I removed the foot rest and shortened the lever to keep it from bumping into my legs, and just added a wood lid from a decorative tin as the top. Works perfectly and I can recommend for anyone starting out engraving. D77C5D05-7CED-43A5-BC9C-96205D5C69EF.jpeg 7E9B79BF-1203-4B47-BED9-40AE2E89FCF8.jpeg 4A0EF67E-B019-4C04-835D-B48185373410.jpeg D77C5D05-7CED-43A5-BC9C-96205D5C69EF.jpeg

Stefan

Elite Cafe Member
A good idea.
Rack can be purchased at the point of reception of the metal. The rest is DIY and ready.

suzib

I am just starting to engrave and I am setting up my ball vice and microscope. Does your stool require an additional turntable? Steve Lindsay mentioned a Shrimp ceramics turntable on his website as a good way to start. I already have a stool I could pirate for parts. Are you still happy with this system?

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am just starting to engrave and I am setting up my ball vice and microscope. Does your stool require an additional turntable? Steve Lindsay mentioned a Shrimp ceramics turntable on his website as a good way to start. I already have a stool I could pirate for parts. Are you still happy with this system?
I think you mean "Shimpo" pottery wheel, which I use.

Emmoakwood

I think you mean "Shimpo" pottery wheel, which I use.
I have a motorized kick wheel by Lockerbie that I'm hoping to convert into a ball vise stand. I'm currently at GRS taking a class with Nevada Watt and she's given me the engraving bug haha. No tools yet but seriously considering a machine.