Chris DeCamillis Comments

gene shultz

I would like to thank Chris DeCamillis article he wrote about marketing your engraving.
I have been reading the fourm for a few years now and have been encouraged by the articles of advice
I have read and have thought I will print this article out and keep it for further use. Well the day has come for further use!
I have been engraving for a hobby for approx. 5 years I have done a few 3rd and 1st gen Colt pistols
and have enjoyed seeing the project come togeather, and thought I would do this when I retire.
Well the day came sooner than I thought. My hole division at my place of enployment was layed off.
So here I am 55 yr old out of work for the first time in my life and thinking what next.
I know that the Lord closes one door and he opens others and it is my job to look for the open door.
As I was setting at the computer reading the fourm I came across the article Chris wrote and I was
encouraged to give engraving a chance. So I am making up plates of nickle silver with examples of
boarders, lettering, and some nice scroll work, and planning to visit the jewelery store in the area
and sell my self and my engraving.
So thanks Chris for the encouragement and advice.
Keep it up.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Sorry to hear that you are out of work, Gene.
You've got the right idea in taking Chris's advise.
Hope it all works out for the best for you.
Best of luck on your new journey.
Post a picture or two of your work.
Sometimes other engravers can refer a little work to you.

Best, John B.

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Gene,
I was in your shoes last year at 58... I made the decision to engrave full time..... I came up with a game plan and haven't looked back. I would suggest using your computed rather than brick and mortar stores (60/40). I sell just about everything I engrave to clients all over the world (knives) and within the U.S. more guns than I can shake a stick at. I've found my groove and life is great.

GO FOR IT.....

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Years ago,before I was a full time engraver, I was talking to Ray Viramontez. (Actually, I was buying gold wire)
I mentioned to Ray that I'd love to be able to engrave full time.
Ray said,"There's no reason why you can't--there's plenty of stuff out there that needs engraved."
He was right.
In 2002, I quit my full time job as a General Foreman in the 9th largest steel mill in the country.
I had 25 years of service, 5 weeks paid vacation,full benefit/retirement package, matching 401k.

I couldn't be happier economically, emotionally and spiritually.

Your desire to be the best you can be, will provide incentive and results way beyond your imagination.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Gene: Sorry to hear about your layoff. I would especially encourage you to pursue jewelry engraving because when it comes to the $$ per hour, it's pretty hard to beat. That doesn't mean you shouldn't work on guns, knives, etc. I always advise my students to keep all engraving doors open. You can do it!

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Gene Thank You for the kind words. Im glad that my words have encourged you in such a positive way. When I was writing them I never thought it would have such an impact, Im glad they did so. Im sorry to hear of your circumstances, but with your attitude and determination you will succeed. Keep your head up and stay strong.I agree that when one door closes another opens. It was always what at the time were not good circumstances, that led me to where I am today, much like yours. Im sure that in the near future you can get good advise from others here, already Dennis has given his advise after being in similar circumstances, and it all worked out well, Thats encouriging. There are a lot of people here to network with, so stay in touch with everyone by private message email and such and you never know what may be there for you. I hope all works well for you and keep us updated it would be nice for others to see that it can work. Chris

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
More and more I am finding a Strong interest to make this full time. Thank you for showing us youngins how it's done. See you in a few years at the conferences.

troutbox

hi gene, and everyone else who responded. i am trying to do the same. i have been self employed for 30 years. feast or famine. the last 10 years have been hard. i could deal with all of the normal stuff but my body can't take the dust, the chemicals or the machinery of being a fulltime woodworker anymore. plus i have been trying, for years, to figure out how to use my artistic talent to better use. good luck to you.

and me.

and tira, the link you provided is a dead one....404 error....

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I would like to thank Chris DeCamillis article he wrote about marketing your engraving.
I have been reading the fourm for a few years now and have been encouraged by the articles of advice
I have read and have thought I will print this article out and keep it for further use. Well the day has come for further use!
I have been engraving for a hobby for approx. 5 years I have done a few 3rd and 1st gen Colt pistols
and have enjoyed seeing the project come togeather, and thought I would do this when I retire.
Well the day came sooner than I thought. My hole division at my place of enployment was layed off.
So here I am 55 yr old out of work for the first time in my life and thinking what next.
I know that the Lord closes one door and he opens others and it is my job to look for the open door.
As I was setting at the computer reading the fourm I came across the article Chris wrote and I was
encouraged to give engraving a chance. So I am making up plates of nickle silver with examples of
boarders, lettering, and some nice scroll work, and planning to visit the jewelery store in the area
and sell my self and my engraving.
So thanks Chris for the encouragement and advice.
Keep it up.

when i started, i too made a host of sample plates. humans are tactile, touchy feely creatures. a sample in hand is far better to intro your work than fotos. the advice by sam is good . jewelry work is easy to get, good practice, and quick and easy. of most value in yer situation is "attitude". far more doors are opened with a positive attitude. best of luck to you.