Cirelli grind for a perfect Parallel heel on an onglette with the dual angle fixture

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Mike, It's great to see your excellent and valuable onglette post returned to the table.
I'm sure it will help many of the Cafe members who have joined since it originated.
My best regards dear friend.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Monk, Jeff. Not to be disagreeable but.........
The ongelette has a place in steel engraving and all other metals IMO.
I don't want to speak for him but the great work Sam Welch did for many years in the past was all done using mostly a #3 ongelette.
Of course he continues to do great work but I'm not sure about his current choice of gravers.
Maybe Sam (TOS) will jump in here if he isn't tied up with a Reno rush.
The grind and method that Mike Cirelli so kindly shared with us is a winner and is almost a duplicate for the graver shape that many of the wonderful engravers with a Russian background use to create their fantastic sculptured work. That, and a world of skill derived mostly from their past in die making.
I recommend that you try them in areas of sculpture and for other things.
Onglettes are what I use to cut all my lines for line borders or line gold inlay. They are very forgiving in maintaining an even line width.

Jeff, congratulations on the beautiful plate you just posted. Wonderful work and design for only four months.

Best, John B.

oh-- i realize that in the right hands they fly. i just meant that in my case. i just never grew to like them. your fotos say it far better than words !!

Latest posts

Sponsors