Clever printing.

Ozgraver

This is a tip for budget-minded members who want to optimise the number of prints per transparency sheet rather than nonchalantly printing to the top left corner or centre of a sheet and wasting the remainder of it.

If you use a label template, you can nest your graphics in any one of a number of 'labels' on the sheet, print it and then be able to print another different image from the same sheet at another time without worrying about how to position it.

Here's what I do:
If you don't have a label program on your puter, go into Microsoft Word, click on Tools>Letters and Mailings>Envelopes and Labels, select the Labels tab and then click Options.

At the bottom left is a scroll box with various label codes and in the right (grey) window you will see the type, height and width of each label. Select a size of label that will accommodate the dimensions of the design you want to print. Click OK and then click on the New Document button.

A new document will indeed open with a grid overlay. Either drag and drop an image into one of the labels or left click in one of the labels and then go up to the toolbar, click on Insert>Picture and navigate to the image you want to print.

You can then go ahead and print the image onto a transparency sheet knowing it will be positioned exactly where you want. You can either burnish directly from the sheet, or cut the label off and still be able to use the sheet again using another label (just don’t place an image into a label in the label template that you've already cut from the sheet!).

It would be prudent to mark your transparencies for each size of label template for future use.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Another way is to make a quick printout on paper, then cut a small piece of transparency material and tape it over the printed area and run it through a second time.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Sam's idea

You know, I used this method years ago to print designs on a bunch of round stickers but it never occurred to me to use it for transfers. Thanks, Sam, for jogging my memory.

Joe Paonessa

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
What a great idea Sam, I wish I had thought of that.
Does the additional thickness cause any problems with the printer?

Les Schowe

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
I use Sam's method on my Brother all-in-one. Works just fine. Put the tape on the transparency edge that feeds in first, leave the bottom edge loose. Make sure your tape is stuck down well, no loose edges. Don't want it wrapping around the rollers,eh?

The extra thickness doesn't seem to pose a problem on this machine at all.

A while back I tried the soap and hair gel release method, and THAT stuff got around my rollers. I think it's what did my other printer in.

then I bought some "Transfer Magic" on Cody's prodding, and my life has changed for the better.

Latest posts

Sponsors