CO2 powered gravermax for $59.97

James Wark

Hello,
As some of you have read in my previous post, my compressor died. I know that you can run the Lindsay tools with CO2 or Scuba tanks, so I was thinking of purchasing a new tool, but its Christmas and not alot of extra cash is hanging around. Then it hit me, why cant I run the gravermax with CO2. So off to Lowes where they sell the Kobalt compressed CO2 regulator kit on sale for $59.97. I hooked it up and it powers the gravermax just fine. I would not expect to get hours of work from a 20 oz tank like the lindsay can, but when without a compressor it can get you going again. This may of been posted before , if so I missed it. Just thought I would pass on this info.
Jim

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Jim: Keep us posted on this. The 'Max does consume more air than Lindsay's, but I'm curious to know if you can get a decent run on CO2. / ~Sam

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT A 20 OZ. BOTTLE, bUT I USED TO RUN MY GRAVERMAX AT SHOWS WITH A 20LB. BOTTLE AND REGULATOR THAT I SET UP WITH AND AIR HOSE AND REGULAR AIR HOSE CONNECTORS.
AS LONG AS I DIDN'T RUN IT VERY LONG IT WORKED FINE AND I ALSO SHUT IT OFFWHEN I WAS DONE CUTTING.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
while I have no doubt this setup will work, it will be expensive and much hassle long term I fear. I can't imagine that you will get more than an hour or so out of 20 lbd tank, based on my expereince runnnig off a 80 cu SCUBA tank, which only lasts for about 3 hours and has both more pressure and capacity. I would think a $200 or $300 aircompressor for Lowes or Home Depot would be much cheaper in the long run, possibly in the first month if you were doing much engraving.

This is from someone who deals with by C02 and SCUBA powered airguns on a daily basis.

James Wark

I agree that you will not get a very long run with CO2, it is just an alternative method if your compressor is not feeling well, or maybe a portable application for shows or trips. The gravermax is constantly using the air, if you are engraving or not. It is also have easy access to CO2 as I deal in paintball markers also.
Jim

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Jim,

Scott Said it...
You can rent or buy a large Co2 tank and run for longer..
you can also get Nitrogen tank but it's not like CO2 just cleaner than a scuba tank but more exp..
Go get yourself a compressor, it can be better than what you are thinking...
Jerry

Dmitriy Pavlov

Elite Cafe Member
I think CO2 is not to bad for big rooms as show. But I sure, in a small workshop you will have not an air for breathing after a few hours of job.

hmw

Yes, please be careful with any of this inert gas you can get to power these things, co2, argon, nitrogen etc. If you are in confined quarters and use enough of this, it will purge the room of oxygen and next thing you know, you will be standing there studying the scroll work on the pearly gates. I would think its unlikely, with the amount these machines put out, but its something to think about. I have in the past used industrial oxygen, like you would use on a cutting torch and felt much safer. Merry Christmas to all....H.

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Soapbox Time

Carbon dioxide is an odorless and colorless gas at room temperature. It is about 1.5 times heavier than air.
44 grams of CO2 at standard temperature and pressure will have a volume of 22.4 liters.

There are approximately 28.3 grams per ounce (avoir.).
There are approximately 28.3 liters per cubic foot volume.

A 20 ounce CO2 bottle holds about 10 cubic feet of gas.
A 20 pound bottle of CO2 holds about 160 cubic feet of gas.

Tool run times will be highly dependent on the hand piece, the type of engraving (power needed to make the cut), and the system leakage rates (including the foot pedal bleed air).

Using CO2 for engraving requires an adequate ventilating system for your work area. Dumping a 20 ounce bottle into a 10x10x8 foot room produces a 1.25% concentration of CO2 -- not life threatening but "unhealthy". Dumping a 20 pound bottle into the same room produces a 20% relative concentration of CO2 which is life threatening.

My recommendation is to stick with compressed air if you can.

I specifically recommend against using oxygen as a pneumatic power source. This is a significant fire and ignition hazard for any equipment that is not cleaned and inspected for oxygen service. Thus speaketh the voice of experience -- you really really don't want to go there.

Gary

thefox

Hi everyone!
This is my first post, so I'll try to get it right! The subject of air supply got my attention, which brings us to my question. Why does the foot control for the air turbine (from GRS) constantly bleed air even when you are not cutting with it? It looks like just a simple on-off foot switch would be better, and would use a lot less air, and in my case, the compressor would not run near as much. Bryan Clary

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
gravermax air leak

Hi Bryan,

I'm pretty sure the air leak is a requirement of the valve used to supply the air pulses. The leak allows a small amount of air to pass through the rotor and keep the valve cool. It also acts to keep friction down between the rotor and valve body, kind of like a dry lubricant.

Joe Paonessa

Latest posts

Sponsors