Colt SAA in progress

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just finished cutting this. Its ready to be sent back to Doug Turnbull for assembly and on to the customer.
I have to say that the SAA is a great canvas. I definitely have to do more of these.

Attachments

• saapic.jpg
    saapic.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 425
  • saapic2.jpg
    saapic2.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 444

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
A great project and a fantastic job. Thanks for showing this.

JTR

WOW! Absolutely beautiful!
Work like yours and the other great ones on here just amazes me,,,,, then you still have time to post it here!
If you don't mind my asking, how many hours did it take to cut it?
John

chris

hi
ray
just magic did you blue and then french grey the scroll work very affective however you did it
thanks for showing chris

Patternweldor

Hi Ray, The work you did on the colt is fantastic, I really like the style, such nice flow it just moves right along. You definately turned that gun into a real winner!

Thanks for showing this!
Chris

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's a beauty, Ray. How about some closeup shots? I'll bet there's really nice detail we can't quite see in these photos. Congrats / Sam

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Yea Ray Sam's right Some Close Ups so we can really drool...
Nice Ray, I'm working on some of the things I learned in your School, Thanks for all the help...
Jerry

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the kind words guys,

These are some snap shots I took. I used the save for web option to get the file sizes down so the forum would accept them and well it crapped out the pics.

I have never seemed to be able to over come that problem. If I leave the file sizes big enough that you can see the details the files are too large and the forum won't accept them. If I reduce them down enough that the forum accepts them the picture quality is poor.

Hopefully once Doug's crew gets it together and gets the ivory grips on it the owner will take some good pics of it for me.

Chris,

I did selectively french gray the scroll leaves and then nickel plated them with a pen plater. I don't know that the pen plating is going to do a whole lot but the customer was concerned about rust on the bare steel so it was more of a peace of mind thing that anything else. Although, the gun will still need to be protected with some kind of rig or rust preventative oil.

Ray

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Ray: The physical dimensions of the photos are ok. What I meant was some close-up detail shots. You're doing everything correctly as far as saving. I've upped the forum's byte size and dimension sizes twice. I have to keep bandwidth in mind since we're getting 8,000 - 10,000 page views per day, and if i go over my bandwidth limit, my hosting company charges me for it. / ~Sam
p.s. If you want to show really large photos, host them on your website and then link to them in your Cafe post. Several members do that, and viewers won't have to click on a thumbnail to see the pics.

Rob Blanton

Ray,
Here are some images I took of the Single Action Project. I have always struggled with the photography end of the business but thought these turned out pretty good.
Rob

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
man, this is just so nice to behold ! this is really soothing to the eye. relaxing to look at.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
man, this is just so nice to behold ! this is really soothing to the eye. relaxing to look at.

Biorka

The Colt

SWEET !!! She's a beaut Ray! Lots of "coverage" (pardon the pun) but not overpowering. The engraving looks like it belongs there. The graying/nickel really makes it Pop. Did I read a post earlier describing how you use the pen for accurate french graying as well as the plating? Could you briefly explain the process?
Barry
Sitka, Alaska

Latest posts

Sponsors