Combination of hand engraving and fiber laser

sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I used a fiber laser to remove the background for this demonstration pendant I engraved at the Hong Kong Jewelry Show 2024.
Using the laser expedited the process so I could jump right into the fun stuff using gravers and punches to sculpt the design. In my two+ decades of demonstrating at trade fairs, I can tell you that no one wants to watch digging out backgrounds, but they'll stop and stare when I'm cutting lines or modeling with punches. Ken Hunt used acid to remove backgrounds on guns he engraved for Purdey, and a few American engravers use acid as well. A fiber laser is a great tool that gets a similar result.

The design was drawn on my iPad using Procreate. The pendant is bronze and I used brass black and steel wool for a vintage, rustic patina. Size is about 32mm.

Attachments

• hong kong 2024 show demo sculpted bronze pendant.jpg
    hong kong 2024 show demo sculpted bronze pendant.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 64

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I used a fiber laser to remove the background for this demonstration pendant I engraved at the Hong Kong Jewelry Show 2024.
Using the laser expedited the process so I could jump right into the fun stuff using gravers and punches to sculpt the design. In my two+ decades of demonstrating at trade fairs, I can tell you that no one wants to watch digging out backgrounds, but they'll stop and stare when I'm cutting lines or modeling with punches. Ken Hunt used acid to remove backgrounds on guns he engraved for Purdey, and a few American engravers use acid as well. A fiber laser is a great tool that gets a similar result.

The design was drawn on my iPad using Procreate. The pendant is bronze and I used brass black and steel wool for a vintage, rustic patina. Size is about 32mm.
Beautiful piece. Thank you for sharing it with us.
John B.

Reactions: sam

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i also like the work. how deep does yer laser go below the surface. i've used my laser to do direct layout wo depth. printing a transfer is just as good for me. jmho

sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think this will probably be what everyone does 10 years from now except in situations where it's not feasible (long guns?, really curved items?). Good to see you normalizing it.
A gentle curve is possible but a tight curve requires rotating the work as it's being cut. There are rotary chucks for engraving small items like tumblers, but a long gun barrel would require something far more sophisticated. In 10 years we'll probably be able to buy one on Amazon :p

Another thing to consider is the computer work required to make a vector for laser engraving. It's probably not worth the trouble unless you do multiples.

Travis Fry

A gentle curve is possible but a tight curve requires rotating the work as it's being cut. There are rotary chucks for engraving small items like tumblers, but a long gun barrel would require something far more sophisticated. In 10 years we'll probably be able to buy one on Amazon :p

Another thing to consider is the computer work required to make a vector for laser engraving. It's probably not worth the trouble unless you do multiples.
I'm pretty analog when it comes to this sort of thing; I'll most likely be a late adopter. But I do like the idea of a perfect transfer and saving time on the grunt work.

FEGA