Conversion of standard handpieces and GRS GraverMax to use AT palm control

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
I currently use foot control with a GRS GraverMax unit. I may be facing some foot surgery before long and I am very interested in possible upgrading to be able to use palm controls. I would love some feedback on whether I should suck it up and buy a new system or save a lot of money and upgrade the one that I have.
1. Have any of you converted a GraverMax to use palm control by adding the auxiliary unit instead of buying a new Gravermach AT? If so, (a) are you pleased with the results, or (b) do you wish you had sucked it up and bought a new Gravermach AT?
2. Did you also convert your old 901, Monarch, and/or Magnum handpieces to function with AT machines? Again, (a) are you pleased with the results or (b) do you wish you had bought new ones?
3. I had a few minutes to try using the palm control at GRS last year, but never felt comfortable with it--partly because I was in a class and couldn't have someone work with me and give me pointers on how best to hold, etc. (I.e., NOT the fault of GRS) I think I would eventually prefer palm control. I live in Raleigh, NC. If one of you GRS AT users lives within a reasonable driving distance of Raleigh, I would appreciate your allowing me to bring over some gravers and practice plates at your convenience and let you show me how best to use the palm control. I had it set up to get some instruction on it at a GRS class this month, but they have all been cancelled due to the Governor's new Covid-19 restrictions--a real bummer for all.
If you are willing to let me play with your AT unit and share your expertise, please email me (Allen Clapp) about Question 3 at alc@ClappArtStudios.com, so we don't tie up the forum. I am sure others may be interested in answers to Questions 1 and 2, so responses to those questions would be appropriate here.
I look forward to your insights

wdale.bass

Allan, I added the Air Tac unit to my Flat top Graver Max & it works fine. You do have to get the conversion kits for your handpieces but you can switch back & forth with no problems. I think the cost is negligible compared to purchasing a new unit & then having to sell the ‘Old’ unit

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Allan, I added the Air Tac unit to my Flat top Graver Max & it works fine. You do have to get the conversion kits for your handpieces but you can switch back & forth with no problems. I think the cost is negligible compared to purchasing a new unit & then having to sell the ‘Old’ unit
Thanks, I was hoping that all would be well going that route. I am also trying to figure out if there are enough improvements in the new Gravermach AT units over my older GraverMax that it would make any difference. Good to hear that the conversion system works well.

wdale.bass

Thanks, I was hoping that all would be well going that route. I am also trying to figure out if there are enough improvements in the new Gravermach AT units over my older GraverMax that it would make any difference. Good to hear that the conversion system works well.
My air tac is added to my flat top gravermax whiCh has a LOT more power than the new machines,IMHO,sometimes you need that extra poweron one materials

edgrabow15

Elite Cafe Member
I currently use foot control with a GRS GraverMax unit. I may be facing some foot surgery before long and I am very interested in possible upgrading to be able to use palm controls. I would love some feedback on whether I should suck it up and buy a new system or save a lot of money and upgrade the one that I have.
1. Have any of you converted a GraverMax to use palm control by adding the auxiliary unit instead of buying a new Gravermach AT? If so, (a) are you pleased with the results, or (b) do you wish you had sucked it up and bought a new Gravermach AT?
2. Did you also convert your old 901, Monarch, and/or Magnum handpieces to function with AT machines? Again, (a) are you pleased with the results or (b) do you wish you had bought new ones?
3. I had a few minutes to try using the palm control at GRS last year, but never felt comfortable with it--partly because I was in a class and couldn't have someone work with me and give me pointers on how best to hold, etc. (I.e., NOT the fault of GRS) I think I would eventually prefer palm control. I live in Raleigh, NC. If one of you GRS AT users lives within a reasonable driving distance of Raleigh, I would appreciate your allowing me to bring over some gravers and practice plates at your convenience and let you show me how best to use the palm control. I had it set up to get some instruction on it at a GRS class this month, but they have all been cancelled due to the Governor's new Covid-19 restrictions--a real bummer for all.
If you are willing to let me play with your AT unit and share your expertise, please email me (Allen Clapp) about Question 3 at alc@ClappArtStudios.com, so we don't tie up the forum. I am sure others may be interested in answers to Questions 1 and 2, so responses to those questions would be appropriate here.
I look forward to your insights

edgrabow15

Elite Cafe Member
Allen, Foot surgery sux, especially when its your dominant foot, Im right handed in most everything, I had the ultimate surgery on my right foot, The whole right leg up to the knee was amputated after a bad motorcycle accident, I had a left foot gas pedal put in my car so forth and so on, I switched the foot pedal to my left side and It was so easy to just start using the left foot to engrave with that I honestly didn't see a difference at all after the 1st 60 seconds. Im sure you probably considered that already but just in case you didn't. It also allowed me to use my 805 and other hand pieces without any problems. Good luck with your surgery

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the uplifting note about the ease of changing feet on foot pedals.
I have been lucky enough to be able to relieve Mitch Moschetti of an extra Airtact conversion unit. GRS was very helpful in supplying extra hookup items that had gotten lost along the way and I now have it working with my upgraded 901 handpiece. I am just starting to play with it and have not experimented enough yet with the sensitivity options to know if palm control is for me. Crossing my fingers, earlobes, and toes!

edgrabow15

Elite Cafe Member
That's great news, I actually have both now also. The palm control is great and very easy to adjust to in my opinion. Keep scratching brother, nothing can hold back an engraver who really not just wants to, but NEEDS TO engrave or life doesn't feel complete LOL

dms

I have seen sewing machines that used an arm that came down from the cabinet to use the knee or side of the leg to run the throttle. It would take a bit of work adapting and mounting it but I think it could be done with the foot control.

edgrabow15

Elite Cafe Member
I was a boat upholstery /canvas guy for almost 20 yrs. When I was younger. The throttle of the machines are a foot pedal on the floor level. The rod coming down with the small oval padding thing at the end right by your knee is actually used to lift the foot of the machine ( that's the small piece that straddles the needle and reaches out and back pulling the material thru the machine) When you need to turn the material you press your knee out against the pad and it causes the small foot to lift up allowing you to rotate the material with the needle still going thru it as a pivot. Than you release the knee pressure and the foot drops back down on the material allowing it to do it's job again. Machines without the knee rod require the operator to reach around behind the machine head and lift up a lever than put it back down after turning the material