Cumulus clouds

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
When putting cumulus clouds in a scene where do you get your ideas for shapes? Do you do any of the following:
Books, photos, other pictures or paintings, raw talent, etc.
In shading, are you using dots, chip removals, or lines?
If your going to put gargoyles in the clouds, where do you get your figures?
Thanks,
Glenn

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Glenn,

The only book I know of on clouds is written by an artist Eric Sloane called "Skies and the Artist", published by Art Books for All in 1950. I was introduced to Eric by a friend, and Eric gave me a copy of his book. You may be able to find it on Amazon. When I do a cloud scape I use two punches..one pointed, one flat, and a piece of a grinding stone. I sketch in the sky with a scribe, I go in with the pointed punch for the background. With the flat punch I tap on the grinding stone, and that is how I shade the clouds. As far as gargoyles I study the Italian engravers. Showing how to do the clouds is easier then describing them here. I will try to do something on a practice plate and try to photograph it.

Keep up the good work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts-Manassas, VA

p.s. Good luck in finding the book. Eric was a painter of rural America, barns, and covered bridges...his cloud scapes were spectacular. He wrote and illustrated many books on early America. If, you are ever in Kent Connecticut there is a museum that houses Eric's early American tools.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Great information J.J. You went the extra mile to help me and I appreciate it.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glenn, Study some of the work of old printmakers.

You can get books with old engraved steel and copperplate prints in them like the one below. Usually you can pick these books up pretty cheap at flea markets and thrift shops. These guys often used lines of varying thickness. A good one i cna recomend is "A Dore Treasury" by James Stevens. It has a lot of Dore prints in it . Book with Hogarth prints for illustrations are also a good resource. Taking a good close up look at this type of work has really helped me over the years to do scenery.

Attachments

• smthny.jpg
    smthny.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 206

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ,
Have you been to the museum in Kent, CT? I was told of it some months back by a fellow I bought some old tools from. I live in CT and Kent is a beautiful area. Great for hiking, fishing and especially nice to cruise on my motorcycle.

I'm anxious to see your practice plate showing how to create clouds.

Peter

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Glenn & Peter,

Glenn...anytime you need any info either on engraving or gunsmithing, guns feel free to send me an email.

Peter...I havn't been to Eric's museum since 1970, but as a tool collector you would really benefit from a visit there. The museum got started when Eric displayed his tools in a museum in one of the large cities..I can't remember which one, but it was in CT. The President of Stanley Tools saw the collection, and offered to build a museum to house Eric's tool collection. Hope you get over to Kent.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA
www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
J.J. and Ray
I found the books you mentioned on Amaznon. The only problem is I got carried away and bought nine books. My saving grace is they were really inexpensive. Thanks for the tips.
Regards,
Glenn

monk

Staff member
When putting cumulus clouds in a scene where do you get your ideas for shapes? Do you do any of the following:
Books, photos, other pictures or paintings, raw talent, etc.
In shading, are you using dots, chip removals, or lines?
If your going to put gargoyles in the clouds, where do you get your figures?
Thanks,
Glenn

this is tough if you are arthritic: go in your yard, spread a blanket, lie down on your back, make drawings, take fotos, whatever. this worx !:D

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Sandy, Thanks a bunch. This is one great web sight. I'm sure I'll refer to it many times.:)

monk

Staff member
clouds

Sandy, Thanks a bunch. This is one great web sight. I'm sure I'll refer to it many times.:)
yeah, xcept for jokesters like me ! good luck i've seen postage stamps with great cloud "line work" but, darn i have no clue where or when. this was all 1940 era stuff. those engravers could work magic !:D

Latest posts

Sponsors