Dante's Inferno theme

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
THis is a job from a couple months ago. THis was one fot he most intense themes I have done. Tons of details in very small places.

The theme was Dante's Inferno and the images are based on Dore's illustrations for the book. The toughest part was that I had to alter the images to make them fit the format of the windows. I had to make the altered images still recognizable as the classic Dore illustrations.

The "frames are sculpted and the images are bulino engraved.

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Whew... that's some serious work... I love it... Great symmetry. I love Dore's illustrations and you really did a tasteful job fitting them nicely on such a narrow canvas.

Thanks for sharing it!

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Ray!!!!
Are the windows in relief,or sunken from the original surface?
If so,may i ask how you got the design on there,or you go free hand,from reference.mike

p.s. Is that a jerry rados knife?

Last edited:

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Guys,

Mike, I think Rados made the damascus for the Blade but Joe Kious made the knife.

The insert engraving was done on gold plates that I was able to engrave and them install under the sliding doors. that is actually bulino engraved. The only part that is sculpted is the scroll framing the scenes.

Ray

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A lot of thought and a lot of beautiful execution. I love the sculpted elements, Ray. Fantastic knife engraving!!

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Guys,

Mike, I think Rados made the damascus for the Blade but Joe Kious made the knife.

The insert engraving was done on gold plates that I was able to engrave and them install under the sliding doors. that is actually bulino engraved. The only part that is sculpted is the scroll framing the scenes.

Ray

Thanks,but after you put the gold in,is it then flush,or inset?
What technique was used to put them in place,being they were already engraved?
Why did you engrave them before insertion?
My original questions was about the depth on the windows in the steel,as they look like they were relieved before engraving the scenes.
Or ,is it just looks that way to me.
I couldn't imagine how hard to put a design into such a small relived area.mike

One mind boggling piece ,mike

Last edited:

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The plates are set below the surface so that the door doesn't scrape them when it closes. They are glued in place after they are engraved. That way I don't have to engrave them in that cramped little space.

Elite Cafe Member
I understand that part.

But what i am trying to ask is ,what is the depth of the surfaces where the vignettes are on the outside scales of the knife,not under the door,as i understand that part.mike

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm still not sure exactly where your talking about.

Let me see if I can describe the parts. The panels with the bulino scenes on the outside are domed. The edges of those domed panels tuck underneath the sculpted scroll. All of the outside work is on top of the doors.

Ray

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray, I've always loved your work, but this is absolutely the best! The subject, the materials, the design elements, the bulino scenes, all work to make a whole greater than the sum of its parts! I would love to actually hold this beauty and study it "up close and personal."

Latest posts

Sponsors