Die engraving

Dmitriy Pavlov

Elite Cafe Member
I had organizing in my workshop yesterday, and found a box with my master dies that I engraved 24 years ago, and brought from Russia 8 years ago. . I’d like to show one from them. It was engraved in a special die steel 7H3
Your thoughts, critique and comments are welcomed.

Attachments

• NikolaeChudotvorche.jpg
    NikolaeChudotvorche.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dmitriy,
Very nice! I am always impressed when I see well sculpted die work. When I worked in a facility where we made medals, jewelry, etc. from dies, the die engraver started out with art work from the art department then traced it into the die with a Gorton or Deckel pantograph then sculpted the modeled contours with hand gravers. Is that the way you made the die or did you hand engrave the entire die from start to finish?

Roger

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Is this a die ( negative ) or a hob ( positive ) ? I only ask because it looks raised. Regardless, it is nice to see work from a fellow die engraver. Steve Adams

Last edited:

Dmitriy Pavlov

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mike, Roger and Steve.
Thank you!
Mike, size of pendant is 30X18mm.
Roger, I started my engraving on the biggest Russian jewelry factory "Russkie Samotsvety". We had the special pantograf that gave as a possible trace a contours and remove a background. I had use it.
Steve, is the master die (positive), I think is a synonym for a hob (Excuse for my grate English :) And thank you, I understood now that means "Hobo nickel" :)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Dmitiry, once again I'm dazzled by your skills and admire the precision of your work. Thank you for sharing it with the Cafe. / ~Sam

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
The words awesome, cool, excellent, flawless and superb (my whole English vocabulary...) pop to my mind right away.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Dmitriy,
Your work is Fantastic!!! Hope to meet up someday, maybe at the engrave-in at Scott's in June 2008...
Jerry

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dmitry,
Very nice. Another example of how talented an artist you are.

Thanks for showing it.

Peter

M

mcrapo

It is a beautiful work of art you have created. Thank you for sharing...
Mike

Jordi

Congratulations!! An amazing work, die engraving. I want to try it someday. Your skills are excellent!

How did you give this smooth shape to the finest parts of the face? With punches and then a burnisher?

Tezash

Hi Dimitry,

It is a beautiful die work that you did 24 years a go, I think you are an excellent die engraver if you continued all these years.
When I was learning hand engraving in Czechoslovakia 24 years a go, I saw the best engravings made by hand. Their tools are chisel, gravers, punches, hammer, divider and small files. They transfer the design with divider. The design they received is 10 times greater than the actual size, so the engraver scales down and scribe it to the metal.
Do you have the latest carving to show us? It is very interesting to carve a die. Thank you for showing us.

Tez.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dmitriy, I'm totally impressed, I am at awe of the things you guys do, wonder if I'll live long enough to catch up to you guys :D Thanks for posting your work, I always love looking at it. Dwayne