Question: Digital Cameras - Panasonic Lumix G1

James Miller

Lumix camera quality

Here is a snapshot I took on holiday in Cornwall this June with my old 4 mp Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC5.

Attachments

• 18 Trewellard cliffs.jpg
    18 Trewellard cliffs.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 57

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam, that is an amazing picture! Proof in point, you know what your talking about on these cameras. It looks like Ansel Adams could have shot that. Thanks for sharing that, and your other terrific photos in the past. Seth

Thanks, Seth. Shooting infrared is fun. Performing major surgery on a camera's sensor to make it shoot IR is nerve wracking! / ~Sam

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
I use both a 20D, 40D, and a Panasonic for my pocket...they all can get the results that will knock your socks off on the Net...when it comes to large prints, the larger sensor the better...Please give me the cash to get a digital back for my Hasselbald...39mega pixtals and killer lenses, but that is another story !

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, could you explain how to use the coolpix as a IR camera? I have read about it some time ago, but can't find the features in the menu of the camera.

arnaud

Sam

Staff member
Sam, could you explain how to use the coolpix as a IR camera? I have read about it some time ago, but can't find the features in the menu of the camera.

arnaud

Arnaud: What you have to do is disassemble the camera down to the sensor. There's a small glass IR filter on the sensor that must be removed and replaced with one that filters out visible light and only allows IR to pass. I think it cost about $90 for the filter, and when you're finished, the camera will ONLY shoot IR.

Here are instructions for the conversion.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Sam for explaining. But it is not an option for me as I than only can make IR photos. :big grin:
There is also a way doing that in PS using layers.
That way one can make a landscape photo taken in summer look like winter. :)

My Nikon SLR, I don't use it that much any more, only for action photos.
Just want to say that the macro function of the all round lens of the Coolpix makes photos my Nikon SLR can't.
The biggest difference is the "depth sharpness" that has more range on the Coolpix and only 10mm with the D70.

It seems to me, there are a lot of engravers here that also are great photographers.

Here are two of me taken in an unfinished underground in Antwerp I visited for ours in an illegal way with my son .

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus,
One thing that was NOT mentioned in this thread is the www.dpreview.com website. It has a LOT of information as well as reviews about most cameras.

I do have a Panasonic DMC-FZ20 that i've had for several years now and love it. I am a VERY much an amateur photographer and the FZ20 amazes me with the pictures I get.

That being said, MOST people I know that ARE into digital photography, without exception, have opted for DSLR's.

The choices and amount of information available are overwhelming. My choice was made by FIRST deciding how much I was willing to spend. Then choosing from the options in my price range was easier.

Good Luck.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay, I know common sense said go with the Canon system I already have but I came to the conclusion that 'upgrading' would just put me in the same position I'm already in. So after much research I took a gamble on the Lumix G1. I shoved a small 32mb SD card in and turned it to auto and shot a couple of pics of an orchid that are handheld with natural light. I'm no photography expert by any means but the first result has impressed me hugely.

Attachments

• orchids_100909_0002a.jpg
    orchids_100909_0002a.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus,
I didn't keep up with the forum and found the thread too late. I have a G1 since January and think that micro four thirds is a good idea. I always wondered why a mirrorless design with interchangeable lenses came so late. I choosed it because I wanted a camera with good perfomance in a small package. Size and weight are perfect for me. The telephoto lens also is small and works well. One of those heavy, bulky SLR's I would much more often leave at home....

The camera has in my mind too many settings and all those scene menues are useless for me. One can even change the colour of display screens. And all those film and colour settings... If one owns a calibrated high-end monitor he possibly could find a good neutral setting, standard colour sometimes I find to look weak, dynamic mode too intense.. etc. Red never looks on the picture as it is in nature.
Out in the field the program knob always switches to another setting inadverdently which is annoying. The cameras electronic viewfinder is really excellent and I rarely use the monitor when shooting outside. The monitor is large and is quite movable, a nice feature. The autofocus has several modes and works good and fast enough. I find that the exposure metering is too high and I mostly shoot at -2/3 except when spot measuring.

The body should better be made of some fiber inforced hard plastic with a matte finish or even better of coated magnesium. The grippy rubber surface looks good at first, but starts to peel off very soon where you place your thumb or at the edges because of the oils of the skin. The printed letters on buttons disappear a bit slower...

Important for an engraver- the camera has no proper makro modus as the shortest focussing distance is too far. The use of a close-up lense gives you a lot of ugly cushion distortion.
I looked forward to the ultra wide angle lens to appear on the market. Now find it quite pricey, when compared to the camera body and thus have have not bought one yet.

As a conclusion I can say that the camera is not fully convincing to me. The micro four thirds concept is fine but I definitely miss production quality.

Martin

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Thanks for that Martin. I'm hoping that the finish holds up after what you say. Part of the reason I wanted more pixels is just what you say regarding macro. Unless you get a true macro lens (very expensive) even my Canon lenses suffered from not allowing the shot if I got too close, even in so called "macro" mode. By shooting at 12MP I figured I could crop the picture to a sensible size without suffering from pixelation.

Here's a shot of a new Lancaster I just finished. I used natural daylight (very sunny), a light tent and tripod; I also used spot metering. I only adjusted the levels in Photoshop, which is what I do as a matter of course anyway, whatever the camera. I really am blown away by the results but I'm sure when I get to grips with the camera I'll find niggles just like you do.

Like you, I think there may be too many options. Ever since I got my first SLR 27 years ago, I've opted for aperture priority and find I always get the best results. No doubt, I'll probably use this more than any other program but even the "iA" seems to give excellent results. Providing the build quality holds up, it certainly doesn't feel like a "down-grade" in camera.

Last edited:

John Hancock

On-Line Purchase & Lens Recommendation?

All,

These posts have pretty well convinced me that I would like to purchase a Canon 50D but I have two questions.

First question: Is there any reason not to purchase the camera on-line? The prices are very attractive: $690 vs. $1100 for a 50D body.

Second question: What lens? The primary purpose of this camera will be photographing the engraving on antique guns in the homes of the owners thereof or at a gun show. Light levels in those settings are typically quite low.

Thanks,

John

Sam

Staff member
John: A 100mm Canon L macro will suit you well, as will a 180mm Sigma, But I'd skip the Sigma and go straight for the Canon 180mm macro if I wanted that focal length. The Canon's are far better lenses.

If you're shooting the entire gun, the shorter focal length lenses will be easier to handle distance-to-subject-wise and you won't have to stand on a ladder aiming down at the floor. If you're shooting tight closeups of engraving then the longer focal length lenses will get you in really close. Remember that the 50D's sensor has a multiplication factor of 1.6, which means any lens you use will be the lens' focal length x 1.6. The 50D's an absolutely excellent camera.

Sponsors