Do you play an insturment and what is it?

tonytigerhk45

Elite Cafe Member
This is a thread that I put on Steve's site, so I'm posting it here also to see who else plays an instrument and what they think about the artistic outlet theory.

"There are lots of us on this site and some of the other sites (you know who you are) that play some type of musical instrument. I am curious as to what some of you play and do you think it is part of your artistic side coming out?
I play the drums (if you call it that) :D and I would like to learn the bass, fiddle, and the mandolin."
tony

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tony,

I play guitar, mandolin, bass, a little banjo (barely) and the radio! With a fiddle I can have most folks in tears (of pain & suffering).

WL

DaveH

I've thought about this as well. It seems as though a majority of engravers are musically inclined. I myself played the trombone in high school, and guitar for the last 20 years. There is the creativity aspect, but also the ability to practice diligently for a long period of time to get proficient with chosen instrument, whether it be stringed or sharpened. It will be interesting to see what others have to say.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Drum set (37 years),all latin percussion instruments, guitar, some bass, ukelele,piano,harmonica,recorder,steel drum(also known as a pan)
I'm only pretty decent on the drums...I hack away at the other stuff.
I sure wish I could play banjo, like some folks that frequent this establishment.

Andrew Biggs

Nope..................not a musuical bone in my body!!!

I love music but can't sing or play a musical instrument to save myself.

At the tender age of about 12 I had visions of playing like Jimi Hendrix or Jimmy Page. I had all the cool moves so I figured a couple of guitar lessons should be enough to launch me into my rock star musical career. Much to my dissapointment the music teacher started me on "Oh My Darlin Clemintine"............I thought we would start on something simple like Stairway to Heaven then move onto All Along The Watchtower and finish off with A Whole Lotta Love!!!!

Within a few lessons it became apparant that my musical career was to be short lived when my music teacher politley told me that my talents may lay elsewhere...............and he was absolutley right!!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

tldcowboygear

Andrew,

Thank you to the music teacher! Without that advice to you we might not have you for this forum.

Looks like I am going back to work in the oil patch and as it stands right now I will be going to Singapore in August. The rig is in the shipyard there and I will be doing a 28/28 rotation. I dream of taking one of my hitches off and coming to Australia/New Zealand.

D.C.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm somewhat skilled on drums. cant read, but can play any tune i know on my trumpet. also reasonably good on the minstrel bones. i'm also a quite gifted singer, that is till someone comes into the forrest who can hear !
my trumpet is in danger; i need some thin guage brass for an inlay- oh well !

hiloboy

i play some guitar now and i'm on my way to learning now to play slack key.. i also play ukulele my first love...

David Glasser

I am a guitarist, I play for a band in Cincinnati called Sid Hatfield and the Deciders. We do mostly original material and some covers;Lou Reed, Johnny Cash, The Knitters, Lucinda Williams, Ry Cooder.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As for the "creative outlet" I think you will find that this group is multi-talented, and music is one of those outlets. I play around with the guitar, used to be able to sing fairly well, but that is going along with my hair.
And might I just mention, that some of us have had great fun getting together and vibrating the walls.

Being musically enclined doesn't surprise me at all amongst craftsmen and artist. Music is beauty..........sometimes..........and beauty, is beauty, is beauty. It comes out of us all different ways because it is expression too. It is also a discipline and that is what we are all about.

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
I used to play trumpet, keybord. and just recently took some lessons on guitar. Will probably start the guitar again, but I need some work on the left elbow because their are nerves in there that are pinched so I can't feel the strings to well. I do a fair amount of stained glass, though.
Andrew,
I played trumpet and baritone, so I could read the music. When I started playing keyboards, after I went through the first book, I was so bored with the kind of music there that I got my teacher to let me play Led Zep, Kansas, and Styx. I played in a rock band through high school and my first year of college. Lots of free drinks and chicks! Right on!

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Drums.... I still have a set of Rogers drums that where used the the Perry Como show way back in 1963.
I also own a tenor Selmer sax that was used in the Dorsey band.

Last edited:

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
When I was in grade school, the music teacher said I was really bad; so, just out of spite, I have played guitar since 1961 and upright bass since 1975.

You're right Ron- it sometimes feels very satisfying to be able to lay down the graver & pick up the guitar.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well I 'try' to play a succession of instruments but haven't managed to perfect any yet. Still I have fun with the band I'm in and some strange folks seem to like us! I play mandolin, autoharp, acoustic and electric guitar plus electric baritone guitar.....contemplating an acoustic baritone at the moment but will have to get rid of something or the wife will kill me! If you're feeling masochistic you can check us out at www.myspace.com/natterjaxband

thefox

music

Hi all. I have been sitting back in the bushes, as I am a beginner and enjoying all the various inputs of those who have been at engraving for some time. There is not much technical advise I can give towards engraving, but there seems to be a connection between engravers and musicans. It seems like persons that are musically inclined seems to be able to accomplish about anything that they really want to.

I have played a fiddle for most of my life, and it has opened many doors for me. It seems that every one in the crowd loves the musican. There must be an analogy between learning to play an instrument and (which usually is a long drawn out process) engraving. I know playing music requires limitless practice and patience, same for engraving. Once you have got to the point of actually playing some tune, the rest is history. You just keep getting better and better. From that you gain confidence, and your skills increasing. At some point down the line, you get to where you think you can do anything! My problem is, I like to so may things, I have a hard time now staying on one set of rails. At my age
now, I don't know if I will ever reach the "master engraver", but I can sure have fun trying. I am kind of at a point like when I started with the fiddle, about 1949. I have a little time to piddle, (I just turned 71)! Bryan Clary

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
I taught classical guitar and played in bands to help pay tuition to college and law school. My wife gave me a flute for Christmas and it is fun and easier to travel with. I am pretty rusty on both instruments now that I spend much of my time in front of a microscope.

Mike

beegee

Elite Cafe Member
Bluegrass banjo, fiddle, mandolin, guitar, bass, trumpet & cornet, baritone horn, french horn, sousaphone, tuba, and working on learning bagpipes, sort of....

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My January '63' Strat, i've had it since 66 it been a few places and could tell a few stories.
Phil.