Double rifle

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
I've been debating whether or not I should post this for critique and finally decided to go for it. It's hard on the ego sometimes but it's a great way to learn and help others learn. I hope you newer folks will start asking for critques when you post pics. The amount of knowledge here is incredible and we really should do more to take advantage of it.

David

Attachments

• ph new.jpg
    ph new.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 344

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can never go wrong with NOT doing full coverage, this is a nice layout; not too little and not too much. On that medallion I would like it better if it were more finely shaded, I think it would pop more that way. That can be added through more shade lines if you think it needs it. That's my only critique, you did well!

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very tastefully done David. Nice layout, nice execution. Can't see anything wrong. I might have added a little more to that little strip behind the standing breach, right at the top where you have that little spiral,................ but that is just me. Back away, squint your eyes and see if there is a balance factor here. Not much, but could be solved by adding just a little to that little spiral.

But it is a good job as is.
Ron S

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm not good enough to critique your work - looks great to me!

You're right though that more of us should be taking advantage of the expertise available here. In about 12 hours you've gotten feedback from multiple Master Engravers and two suggestions of minor enhancements you could make along with reassurance that you don't have to do them if you're unsure of your skills.

I know on things I've mine I've posted - including drawings - that I've gotten major assistance from the responses. Heck, that last set of sketches I posted I got two major things explained to where I finally caught on.

And for those of you lurking and worrying, I've never had anyone be 'mean' to me. The closest I've had to anything that could even be taken as having been mean was a very nice critique from someone who thought I'd been engraving for a lot longer than I have. I took that as a major compliment - not only did I get the great feedback, I learned that I had done well enough to make it look like I was a slightly sloppy experienced engraver. :D

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you very much guys.

Roger, it's a B. Searcy & Co. This one is chambered in 450/400 3".

Ron, thank you. I see what you mean about the area behind the standing breech. I'll remember that for the next one.

Steve you put it perfectly. Not once has someone been overly harsh to me here or in person. It's a wonderful group of people that are more than willing to help if we ask them. Heck, it's because of the help I've received from these guys, over the years, that I am able to this stuff for a living.

David

Last edited:

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
Dave -- Is this the double you said you were getting in when I was out there and couldn't get away from the stupid conference to come see you?? It's very good. I need to quit this job -- it gets in the way of the things I like to do best?

Santo

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys.

Santo, it's a different gun but same maker. Sorry you couldn't make it over.
Leaving my job was one of the scariest and smartest moves I've ever made. It hasn't been easy but it's so worth it.

David

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
David,
I wanted to add to this thread as well. Very nice job! I assume the engraving on this was a "period" type of engraving? There is some interesting shading going on the scrolls. I can't give much critique as this type of scroll is not what I do but it looks good!
I would also like to encourage others for input and critique as well as positive comments. I know that is how I learned. It's real nice to get a lot of "atta boys" but that getting good constructive critique is priceless!
You'll find that people will treat you kind and give you help only if you ask. Check your egos at the door and get ready to learn!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The lines are are deeply cut with nice character, which I really like. Congrats on a job well done. You can be proud of this one.

Latest posts

Sponsors