Dumb question: backhand vs forehand

billyProps

Watching Sam’s flare cut videos and I don’t understand what distinguishes forehand and backhand cuts. At first I thought it was based on which side of your hand would be exposed when you roll the graver, but he labels the inside turn of the cuts forehand for both left and right curves. Is the inside always the forehand cut?

billyProps

Okay, I figured it out. On a forehand cut the belly of the graver is on the inside of the arc, and on a backhand cut the belly is on the outside of the arc. I don’t know how much sense “forehand” makes to me, but “backhand“ is like pulling back on the stick if the graver was a little airplane.

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
At the time of my apprenticeship (about sixty-some years ago) I was trained to cut curved lines always with the center of the curve towards me. We were using hand push gravers, there were no power tools, and rotating the engravers block clockwise gave more control than cutting away from my supporting left hand.
Times have changed, and during the last fifty years more engraving tools and equipments were introduced to the trade than ever before, and "forehand" or "backhand" cutting can be done with the same mastery. (I still prefer the old way.)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here’s an illustration that can help. It looks way more complicated than it actually is, and it’s difficult to explain in an understandable way for someone learning to do it. I hope this helps others since you appear to have figured it out.

Attachments

• 52C8A261-106E-4544-8AB2-06620986F1E3.jpeg
    52C8A261-106E-4544-8AB2-06620986F1E3.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 99

billyProps

Here’s an illustration that can help. It looks way more complicated than it actually is, and it’s difficult to explain in an understandable way for someone learning to do it. I hope this helps others since you appear to have figured it out.
Hey Sam, I’m rewatching your flare cut videos and wondered where your camera is situated. Are they recorded from your perspective or is the camera off to the side. I ask because I’m thinking about the angle I hold the graver. I do what’s comfortable and that usually has me steering it pretty much horizontally. When observing you in the video I imagine I’m sitting where you are.

Latest posts

Sponsors