duplicate transfer tip

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
A few weeks or months ago, ( I can't find it to reply to it ) . Someone posted a tip for transferring an image with a smoke pull. I think it said to smoke the image, pull it with tape and transfer it onto the blank with Dammar varnish.
Well, I couldn't get that to work. So, I still use the Transfer Wax ,pull with tape and burnish method.
What I do now though , is make a smoke pull and lay the tape on my vice next to my cutting giving me a good reference to glance at while cutting. The smoke pull makes a great copy.
My Transfer Wax pull makes a good image but is pretty hard to see. Can anyone suggest how to see the transfer better ? Maybe mixing some black into the wax ?
Thanks in advance, Mark

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
That Mike Dubber is a jewel ! We are so fortunate to have such high caliber people as Mike and a lot others share the secrets of their ( our ) craft with us. Thanks Sinterklaas for the video and you pros for the great advice and tips. I'm getting me some graphite !

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've used mr dubbers blackend wax. it works, but like anything, a bit of practice is needed. i never tried, but i wonder if sirchie fingerprint ink might be a better pigment for this ? if the wax were melted, it would be easy to see if the sirchie pigments would spread evenly thruout the wax.
ill give this a try and let youall know how it worked.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
monk, I use black paint pigment. Our local paint store will give me a pill bottle full for nothing, a little goes a long ways

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
No it is a concentrated liquid pigment. I melt the wax and stir in a small amount, sorry I don't have a specific ratio. I just use trial and error.

monk

Staff member
flint doubles & sam--tyvm. i forgot about the paint store stuff. i used it a few years ago to concoct a white trans liquid.
i added 2volumes of sirchie to 5 volumes of chap stick as per mike dubbers potion. it works, magic tape would do 3 transfers, but was no better than mikes' graphite. it appeared to be smoother but was just about as good.
btw the ratio was about twice as sofft as sams' balding wax.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk I think I'm afraid of the balding side effect of Sam's Balding Wax. I bought some of Sam's Balding Wax but are the quality transfers worth the risk. It certainly hasn't had any adverse effects on Sam's high quality engraving! It may even have helped to improve his work! Another Side affect of Sam's Balding Wax is that it may also help to make you a better and more accurate engraver! What is your unbiased opinion Monk?

monk

Staff member
Monk I think I'm afraid of the balding side effect of Sam's Balding Wax. I bought some of Sam's Balding Wax but are the quality transfers worth the risk. It certainly hasn't had any adverse effects on Sam's high quality engraving! It may even have helped to improve his work! Another Side affect of Sam's Balding Wax is that it may also help to make you a better and more accurate engraver! What is your unbiased opinion Monk?
sadly, my cat licked the can whilst open. 2 days later the cat lost all the hair on its tail ! the wax, all kidding aside, is one way to do a transfer. only practice and determination will make one more accurate and better. there's a dozen ways (at least) to do transfers. the wax way is just a time-proven way to assist in pattern transfer.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
monk the last batch I made I added some of sam's wax it made it just a touch softer than sam's. I think the firmer wax gives me a better line. Sam's wax works the way it is but my lighting is not that great the black works better for me.

monk

Staff member
monk the last batch I made I added some of sam's wax it made it just a touch softer than sam's. I think the firmer wax gives me a better line. Sam's wax works the way it is but my lighting is not that great the black works better for me.
i never fiddled with sams' formula. i always used it as-is. my very fave is directly applied hp inkjet #92. it can go direct onto most surfaces. i found this cant be used for at least 20 minutes after printing. the prints can last a couple days before drying out.