Engrave-In after Blade Show

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark your calendar for Monday June 11th and add an extra day to your travel schedule.

Ray Cover and I are planning an engraving gathering for the Monday after the Blade show.

This is an opportunity for those of us interested in engraving to get together outside of the hectic show setting and share techniques, and engraving ideas just each other's company. Ray and I will be doing a couple of seminars, approximately 1 and half hours each in duration. We are still in the kicking around ideas stage, but the ideas we think might be the most benefit would focus on scroll design parameters along with something on shop design and theory. Of course, we will entertain questions of any sort. Midday on Monday we will have a dinner on the grounds, with smoked chicken and numerous other edibles from the excellent cook on my place, disguised as my wife.

We will have several different benches set up with all types of engraving equipment for those who wish to experiment with various options. You are encouraged to bring your own equipment and set it up as well, so that we can do some hands on instruction with your own equipment in hand.

This is event will be held in Monteagle, Tennessee, and on site camping can be provided, or there are several hotels 3 miles away. Actually the party can really begin Sunday night, as we are only about 2 hours North of the Blade show, and you are welcome to come up as soon as the show is over.

That’s the first announcement, we will add more as things firm up

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Sounds interesting,where is this place? The Monteagle Trailer park or camp ground.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Who do you contact for a vender application, Ray suggested a while ago, that that Atlanta is the show to go to, so I emailed Krause Publications who puts on the show, as their webpage said. I have had no response and I am at a dead end. Who do you contact? Brian

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Here is another question, kind of off subject, If they are still taking applications, I am wondering how well knives typically sell there. If I were to go, I would have to go dangerously into debt in order to purchase spec knives worth engraving. If there was a good possibility I could sell enough to cover my investment costs I would certianly risk it to get the exposure that I need to get things rolling. Thoughts please. Also I would certianly like to attend the engraving seminar, sounds like alot of fun. Thanks, Brian

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

You may need to call Krause and talk to a human on the phone.

It is likely that tables are sold out for this comming show. This is a very hard show to get into but it is worth the work to get yourself there.

I will have to check with him to make surre he is still doing it. But I beleive that Tim Adlam is getting an extra table in the engraver's section for those of us who cannot get a table. Here is the deal Tim is doing ( at least this is what we had talked about ) Is setting up a table with a couple display cases. Folks can send a few peices along with cards and info for display on the extra table. These tables are expensive so there would be a small charge for using this to help cover the table cost.

This would allow you to attend the show, your work be represented at the show, and have the opportunity to take orders or sell the work even if you can't get a table of your own. It is also a way to get a foot in the door.

Now Like I said I hav eto check with Tim to make sure he is still doing it and that it is still OK with the Show promoters for us to do this. I will check.

As far as will your stuff sell?

Boy....that is the unanswerable question. All I can say is that there are no gaurentees about anything selling at any show. But if your work catches the eye of a collector it is very possible. There are collectors at that show who buy work in all price and quality ranges.

Ray

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I were to go, I would have to go dangerously into debt in order to purchase spec knives worth engraving.

Boy this is a hard one, I have seen the pictures you have posted of your work and it looks quite good. But breaking into a new market is always iffy. Not knowing your financial situation, but I would not spend money on high dollar knives for speculation until I was gettting similar orders on similar knives already from customers. Even if could afford to loose the money I would not reccomend that you buy expensive spec knives until that criteria was met.

Maybe you have seen some of the work Marcus has done on Spyderco's . Really I shudder that work as good as his on something like a Spyderco, but they don't have the custome knive following in his country like here. But if I was looking for work, and wanted to go to the Blade show, I would do one of the nicer factory knives in something that showed your work well, but something you still did'nt have more than $100 in. If there are any GOOD makers in your area, and you could work something of a trade out with them, then it could be a win for both of you.

and I said, GOOD, and thats a subjective things but there are a lot of rough knives made out there by so called custom makers, and to be honest, I think its hard for collectors to see beyond the knife itself. If it (the engraving) is on a factory knife that has good clean grind lines, then then can say , OK its nice work on a too cheap knife, let me give you a worthy knife for your work. But if its on a crappy knife, all the collector can really see is the faults of the knife itself, which is unfair to your engraving

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Ray and Scott, Thanks for the advice. If Tim Adlam is going to do the display, I would definitely be interested in that. Sounds like a less risky way to get my foot in the door. I have a couple spec knives already, a Don Cowles and a Chuck Stewart,which would work good for a small display.
As far as finding a good maker in my area, Dwight Towel lives right down the road from me but he is to good. If he finishes a knife it is sold and he 5yrs behind. I think I'll still go hound him a bit, he may have something lying around. Thanks again guys, Brian

Don Cowles

Elite Cafe Member
Ray and Tim Wells and I had the opportunity to eat some of that fine smoked chicken at Scott's place last year after the show, and it was a wonderful day in a magnificent setting. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I would bring a guitar this year, too! What say, Sam?

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

I have sent Tim an email asking if the display table is still on the agenda. I will let you know as soon as I hear back from him.

Ray

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Abigail and I will be going to the SNAG (Society of North American Goldsmiths) show in Memphis which is shortly after the Blade Show. Looks like we'll have a couple of days before SNAG to come to Scott's in Monteagle, TN. Is anyone else going to SNAG? Let us know if you are. Maybe we can share a ride.

Scott: Is there an airport near Monteagle? Not sure if we'll be flying or driving.

~Sam

Tim Adlam

Scott,
Kelly and I are definately planning to visit after the show. I'm really looking forward to it!

Re: Display table at the Blade Show.
I opened up part of my table last year as a display opportunity for [attending non-table holding] engravers,
in an attempt to introduce the public to a variety of engraving artists and styles.
I don't know if that space will be available this year.
I do however, encourage anyone attending the show to bring samples along to show-and-tell.
We drew quite a group, and it was the best time [at a show] that I've enjoyed in years!

Blade Show/Artists Area:
Mary Lutz [show co-ordinator] has an expanded area available to present table holders wanting to be grouped in the "artists area".
Right now it looks like there's approx. 11 tables...give or take.
First-choice space goes to those exhibitors that enlisted last year.
Once we see who wants to be included this year, Mary can determine how best to layout the tables.

I would like to see this concept grow, and gain momentum so that we [engravers] have a greater
art-appreciation presence within the custom knife community.

Sam,
I wish to echo everyone's compliment on the "Engravers Cafe".
Something like this was a long time coming...thanks to you, Abigail and Tira for making this work so well!
The combined talent of the membership is inspiring.
I hope that I can make an equal contribution as well.

Tim

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott you may have a Woodstock for craftsmen going here. I would love to attend not only to meet everyone but it sounds like you live in a beautiful part of the world. I'm only an amateur engraver but I am a professional Goldsmith/Diamond setter does that count?
Mike

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike anyone who loves our art is welcome to attend. Beginners, Experts, Wannabes, Patrons, Customers if you are interested in engraving, please come. Spouses and or significant others of any of the above are also welcome, doubly so if you are a wonderful singer or picker, or just a fantastic all around person.

Got some more good news today, will post more details later when it firms up 100% , but your Woodstock comparison may not be that far out of line.

Last edited:

Abigail

Administrator
Mike: Are you really coming?
Scott: I'm not a beginner, expert, wannabe, patron or customer, but I am VERY interested in my engraver husband. Does that count? Could you add "spouse" to you list of guests?
Abigail:D