Engraved Buck Knife

Andrew Biggs

Hi Everyone

Here’s another small project I’ve just finished one side of. It’s a small stainless steel Buck Knife from GRS. The bottom picture is about the actual size. It was a pleasure to engrave and the steel is nice to work on.

You can’t see it too well in the photo but there are small “squiggly†bits around the edge of the design where scroll and leaf meet that forms a “Vâ€. The reason I did that was to soften the edge and take the harshness away from the outer line. Not sure if it worked or not.

I used the GRS knife holding fixture to hold the knife for the engraving. It worked really well. I also put small wooden shims in the cavity where the blade goes so it lessened the vibration and stopped any squashing of the sides so the blade could still closed.

As usual your thoughts, comments and any critique are always welcome. That’s how I learn.

Cheers
Andrew

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,
your softening looks great-makes a border without a line or establishes the nonengraved area as a border-the flow of the scroll works well with the lines of the knife. The longish tendrels and long leaves tend to keep things moving at a good clip-My own eyes tended to us the balaced background to help slow down my scan-Very Nice work. The outside work being much smaller than the inside work is another of those departures from the rules but work very nicely on this piece. Thanks for sharing, Fred

webad2006

Andrew,

Wow, great looking knife. I was wondering how those GRS knives would engrave/look. I guess that answers my questions. Are you keeping this particular knife for yourself, or is it a customers/for-sale?

Andrew Biggs

Thanks guys

Really appreciate the comments. Now to do the other side.

webad2006........it's just a practice piece to play around with and get the creative juices flowing a bit.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors