Engraved Lock, Tuned, and Finished

LRB

Finished it up today. Thankyou all for your compliments, and encouragement. I am a little proud of this, since I do not consider myself a real engraver.

SharpGraver

Elite Cafe Member
That certainly looks like the work of a "real engraver " to me. Beautiful well laid out and Professoinal. Thanks for showing us your work.
David

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well, dang- you're gonna be real special if you ever learn how to engrave. ah, fooey ! you're so good now, i wouldn't bother to learn how to engrave !

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
Since that looks to be very well executed and tasefully depicting the period you are trying to duplicate, I would call you an Engraver. I would think the hard part would be to not lose the historic accuracy.
Keep up the good work.

LRB

Thanks Jim, acually it could be a tad over the line for historical accuracy, in that most American gunsmiths were not all that good at engraving, and lock engraving is almost a rarity. There are, of course, exceptions, and a few were very good. From what I have found, the best engravers of the time were silversmiths, and jewelers.

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Jim, acually it could be a tad over the line for historical accuracy, in that most American gunsmiths were not all that good at engraving, and lock engraving is almost a rarity. There are, of course, exceptions, and a few were very good. From what I have found, the best engravers of the time were silversmiths, and jewelers.

Ya know when dealing with recreating an project from a time period long past we get involved in a lot of suposistion(guessing how things were done). If a gunsmith had a customers that was willing to pay for a cut above average engraving, And the local Jeweler need a set of Fireplace irons or a Buggy wheel repaired .
I have little doubt there would have been some work swapped? Heck a lot of that was done when I was a kid, Pop was always finding a way to swap labor done by his 6 sons for something he needed.:)

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks LRB. I hope you don't mind, it just went into my electronic file.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
LRB your right since you are not a real engraver I think you should send that lock to me and you should start over on the next one. And when you finish that one just send it to me to and just keep practicing and sending them to me, I figure after 15 or 20 you should be able to call your self a real engraver and I would have a lot of the old pratice locks to use on my old rifles. ;>) Great work and I think you can call yourself a real engraver now. Your are right there were many of the old rifles that were not engraved but ther were several makers that were very good engravers and there rifles reflect that, so if you want to build a nicely engraved rifle pick one from that time frame and go for it. Fordney is one that I have always admired, he was a step ahead of his time until his unfortunate demise.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Real engraver? what is that? LRB, I would say that you are as real an engraver as I am. You are cutting metal aren't you? Just because us older guys have a few years on you doesn't make you less of an engraver. It is the spirit that gets you there. You have that, and so welcome to the engraving world my friend, That is a fine job. Very well done, pleasing to the eye with very little application. This is hard to achieve, which indicates to me that you have a good eye for design. I believe that negative space is just as important as full coverage and you can use it to good effect with beautiful results. Knowing how to decorate with small amounts of good quality work is a clue to ones designing ability. Congratulations to you my friend, that is a very nice looking piece. Well done!.........Study your leaf structures and shading, you will get better.. A slight bit of critique here, Shade the termination of the tendril too. The lack of shading in the tendrill stands out in my point of view...Ron S

LRB

Thankyou for your kind words Mr. Smith. I am not kidding you with this question, what is the tendril?

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
very nice work . you have to keep us posted on the rest of the rifle , like the patch box and the but plate .. thanks ron p.

LRB

.photobucket.com/albums/e77/wicklrb/pennyknife148_640x480.jpg[/IMG]
Here are some shots of other parts, but the photos of the completed gun were very poor. They were taken by the owner, I took shots of the parts. I am taking the gun to the CLA show in August and will have a real photographer do some shots.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
LRB, I am even more impressed with your sense of good taste. Very striking layout proving the point that grace is simplicity. The tendril is the termination part of the spiral (the ball on the end of the vine) or the curling portion of a leaf structure. I wish I could draw on this thing or could post a drawing. Maybe someone could do that for you and explain the anatomy of the spiral and leaf. Your structure is good however, you have a great sense of balance and spacing. You are accurate with your tools. You just need to treat every element in your spiral the same. You can give a greater rolling effect to the tendril by shading it, which would improve the effects of the whole designs. It is a small thing and I am nit-picking, but I think you will like the results, and any slight improvement will add to the visual and emotional appeal, as much as you have both of those things already. Excellent job! Very proffesional indeed!...............Call me Ron, we are friends......Ron S

Last edited:

LRB

If you could post a drawing, it would be great. The rounded part is shaded, but perhaps not enough. I would have to see what you mean. Are you talking about a shaded cut, or fine line shadeing as one might do with a pencil drawing to give the impression of roundness?

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, shade the curling part at the end of the design, but not with a flared cut. do a series of lines cutting down the mass of the curl and make it more compatable with the shading of everything else. Where the scrolls make the design look like a flour de le' pattern and they come together because of the curling "tendril". Do you have my book? there are some discriptions of the different parts, tendrils, leaf structures, etc. which would give you a clear idea of what I am talking about. Anyway, the work is good enough that this is only a little thing that i think would make a big difference in the perception of the design. I will start a new thread and see if we can get someone who can post a drawing. Right now I don't have a printer for this laptop. Intend to get one in the future, but can't help you with that right now, plus I am just learning how to use internet protocol and post things, etc. Hope this helps.........Ron S

Latest posts

Sponsors