Engraved Lock, Tuned, and Finished

Swede

LRB, I know exactly where you are coming from with the issue of engraving on muzzleloaders.

The good news is that there are an enormous variety of English and other European period weapons where the level of engraving is far beyond what the U.S. gunsmiths of the day were doing. Perhaps you could pursue a fine English sporting rifle or shotgun, and really go to town with the engraving.

Just a thought! I love the job you've done, and think it is on the high-end, but not beyond, of contemporary work.

LRB

Swede, I appreciate your suggestions, but I ain't THAT good, and I know it may be heresy, but I don't think I want to get too much better. At least for now. I have enough rifles to build, and knives to make, to keep me as busy as I can stand at the moment, not to mention two engraving jobs on guns.

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello LBR, your engraving looks great, I especially like the nick and dot border. But I like the lock even more who made the lock and all the bits and pieces? They did a beautiful job.

LRB

The lock is a Davis. Comes ready to use, but with a cast finish. I cleaned it up, and added the file work on the frizzen spring, and cock screw. Unfortunately, this is a poorly designed lock. Very bad geometry in it's action. It is very picky about the flint position, and does not throw the sparks in the pan as it should. Works great with a sharp fresh flint, but not so good when the flint dulls. Much of the sparks miss the pan.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
LRB, did you try bending the hammer a bit? Sometimes you can improve the action and sparking with just a slight adjustment. I had one like that, but solved it by facing it with a thin carbon shim. Sparks like crazy now. Not too sightly though, but surely improved performance, especially if you are going to hunt with it. I silver brased it onto the face and quenched it in cold water. You must draw the temper out of stress points as the steel will shatter. Draw them to a dark straw or blue color except for the frizzen face. It is hard to get it to blue without softening the frizzen, but Leave it hard. There is a product in the jewelry trade called cool jewel that will help here. Maybe you know these suggestions already.......A good sparking gun is a pleasure to shoot............... Excellent work!! Is the customer going to hunt with the gun? Give us a look when you get the lock browned, blued, and installed...........Ron S

LRB

Lock sparks great, just doesn't send them to the pan very well. From what I could tell, both cock, and frizzen need to be bent, but the owner is happy with it, and since both are engraved, I figure to leave well enough alone. He chose the lock, and has had one like it before, and has had nothing but praise for the way the gun shoots. He is a competition FL shooter, and is happy, so I ain't gunna stir anything unless he complains.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Right on, Ride on LRB ........... Long live the flint lock!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Sponsors