Engraved Patchbox

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Just finished this German silver patchbox for a customer's muzzleloading hunting rifle, and thought you all would like to see it. Keep up the good work.

JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA
www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

Attachments

• jj.patchbox.deer.dogs.fin.jpg
    jj.patchbox.deer.dogs.fin.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 306

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
Hi JJ .. just fantastic . I do love your belino style , it would go well with that type of gun .. see you at the york gun show .. ron p

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
JJ,
You did a superb job of a period style patch box. I'm interested on what style rifle it would go on?
Period correct is not a big thing in SA, yet. I see it is quite a big thing in the US. There is no custom muzzleloader builders in SA at the moment, as far as I know.
I'm wondering... is it a crucifiable sin to put "modern style" bulino on a muzzleloader? I see on another forum some members will emediately point out if it is not Period Correct.

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Cristiaan; Here in the US and Canada, we have clubs, and groups of people who participate in living history events. They have to be able to document that the firearm is period correct for the the time. An example is the Revolutionary War, here in the states, flint locks only, no precussion caps. If you stepped into one of there camps , you would think that you had stepped back in time. Here is a link to a site that is for period of the Mountian Man, Fur Trade time, look at the requirements for full membership http://www.xmission.com/~drudy/amm/moreamm.html

Last edited:

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Powderhorn, it sounds fantastic. What a wonderful way to appreciate and celebrate history. Must be a great experience to attend one of those camps. The guys from Tedd Cash Manufacturing send me some On The Trail magazines in an order. I found it SO interesting. You sure got some great info and magazines in the US.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Damn JJ, now he ain't gonna want to take that fancy gun in the woods. :)
great looking box, should be proud of that.
Kent

JJ Roberts

Thank you for the nice comments. Andrew..you are correct that is from an old German etching. I am always looking for game scenes with a lot of action. Christiaan..the patchbox will be going on a 50 caliber Hawkins rifle, not exactly correct, but that is what the customer wanted, and the customer is always right. Keep up the good work everyone.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA
www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks JJ,
Here is a pic of an original R Hughes English sporting rifle patchbox for your reference and enjoyment. What kind of critter it is I don't know. Looks some kind of Indian rhino. But the gun was made for a African hunter so I can't understand the funny animal. Enjoy.......Christiaan

Attachments

• hughespbox.JPG
    hughespbox.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 36

JJ Roberts

Christiaan...Thanks for sharing the English patchbox..that is definitely a rhino. The English scroll work is just
beautiful...Could you describe what kind of rifle..bolt action..single shot..double barrel..what caliber?

JJ Roberts
Manassas, VA

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
English Sporting rifle

It is an original English Sporting muzzleloader. .45 cal with an extra .50 barrel. The balance and design is what I would consider the perfect combination for African Hunting under the hot African sun. It is much lighter than a Hawken but the felt recoil is minimal due to the excellent stock design. Pity it is not mine. Here is some more photo's

Attachments

• IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Sponsors