engraved william henry with ti bolsters

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
here is one i just got off of the bench , this william henry has ti. bolsters and i must say that it didnt cut too bad . hope you like what i did .. ron p.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Nice one, Ron. Titanium can be nasty stuff if it's not the pure variety.
I think a bit of relieved background areas inside the scrolls would make them stand out more, but you did very well. Cheers / ~Sam

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You've got it Sam.

I've been trying to figure out what could really help to improve your scrolls Ron because you obviously have great graver skills and now Sam's pointed it out. There isn't really enough contrast of black and white within the actual scroll. What you have will work fine if you keep it very small but enlarge it and it just seems to lack that extra 'something'. Don't be afraid to cut away some of the inside areas. I know it's boring, time consuming and you may feel you're not getting the right price for putting this 'extra' in but try it and I think you'll find yourself moving up another level fast!

Great knife, very nice cutting and I hope you find the critique useful.

James Wark

Very nice ron. I dont think I would attempt to engrave titanium. I have tried machining titanium where I have my day job. It work hardens very fast, and tapping was near imposible.
Thanks for showing the knife.
Jim

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
thanks to all of you for the advise ..

Marcus . I thanks you for that advise and I agree with you and SAM . what I am trying to get is a modern style English scroll I like the tightness of this type of scroll . I will give your advise a try on the next project .

Marcus . I am a old hand at engraving I started in 1970 and I went engraving full time in 1995 . 99% of my work is on colt saa and I am one of the custom shop engravers for colt . I am always looking for advise from experienced engravers like yourself and SAM I never feel that I am good enough . thanks again for the advise and keep it coming .

hi SAM .. yes ti can be a problem this one is the 6al4v variety and I though is cut rather nice , I have found out in the past that when engraving ti. don't try to hog the metal also use a chisel that will give you a wider cut and with a face of about 50 deg. and a face of 20 deg. I grind 2 sides of my square chisel to a 40 deg. making for a wider cut I find this puts more strength in my chisel .. ron p.