Help, please: Engraving a signature on a stainless steel pen cap

Reluctantly

Hi there,

I am not an engraver, I am a client. I am looking to have a facsimile signature engraved on the cap of a valuable pen made of polished stainless steel.

I do not want it laser engraved however I am happy to have it diamond drag engraved. I have consulted a shop to do this but they have run into technical difficulties. As I understand it, their diamond drag engraving unit can only handle flat surfaces with minimal curves, this is forcing me to compromise on the size of the engraving they would be willing to attempt (my initial requested length was 0.8 inches so it's already small).

Now, I have found images online of diamond drag rigs that clamp onto the pen and rotate the pen rather than the diamond bit moving over the surface. This alternative seems like the easy solution for engraving a curved surface, however, I cannot for the life of me find a business that specifies that they can do this. The only images I can find of such units are from the websites of the companies that produce the machines, not from the engravers.

Can anyone offer any advice on a possible solution and a company that could do this? I have the vector file of the signature and I'd be willing to send the pen anywhere nationally for it to be done, but I'm in the NYC region and I suspect there is someone nearby that could do it.

Many thanks.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
If you already have a vector file of the signature, have you considered having a hand engraver transfer the image to the item and engrave it by hand? There are very talented hand engravers in the NYC area.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
What you should be doing is calling stores that sell trophies. A lot of them keep up with the technology and will have a computer system to do what you want. If you call one that uses pure diamond drag engraving, then they would not be able to do it correctly.

If you call a trophy shop that says they SHOULD be able to do it then call a different shop that says no problem, we do stuff like that all the time. They still may want to see the piece, which is sensible of them.

Good Luck.

Allan

Reluctantly

If you already have a vector file of the signature, have you considered having a hand engraver transfer the image to the item and engrave it by hand? There are very talented hand engravers in the NYC area.
Thanks for that. I suppose I'm open to having it hand engraved. By hand engraving do you mean with a little electric rotary engraver or just with handheld tools?

I suppose the philosophy of the facsimile is a little different depending on the method. I liked the idea that the signature was transferred directly from the hand to the metal via a machine using "math", rather than by the hand of another human. I guess that's a little ironic, but somehow it seems that having another human do the signature takes some of the character away from the signator!

Reluctantly

What you should be doing is calling stores that sell trophies. A lot of them keep up with the technology and will have a computer system to do what you want. If you call one that uses pure diamond drag engraving, then they would not be able to do it correctly.

If you call a trophy shop that says they SHOULD be able to do it then call a different shop that says no problem, we do stuff like that all the time. They still may want to see the piece, which is sensible of them.

Good Luck.

Allan
Thanks for that, good advice. This is pretty much what I have been doing. I think I may have found someone with the right equipment. A lot of the trophy/plaque engravers I contacted didn't have the capacity to diamond drag cylindrically. It seems like most of that corporate stuff is done with lasers now, but to diamond drag a small curved surface apparently requires all kinds of different hardware.

Typical Montblancs are made of resin and can be lasered, the issue with mine is that it's polished steel and needs to be scratched rather than zapped.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for that. I suppose I'm open to having it hand engraved. By hand engraving do you mean with a little electric rotary engraver or just with handheld tools?

I suppose the philosophy of the facsimile is a little different depending on the method. I liked the idea that the signature was transferred directly from the hand to the metal via a machine using "math", rather than by the hand of another human. I guess that's a little ironic, but somehow it seems that having another human do the signature takes some of the character away from the signator!
A good hand engraver can take your signature file, transfer it to the object, use either a hammer and chisel graver or an air or electric assisted handpiece with graver to cut your signature exactly as if you had it in your hand. A rotary handpiece does not give the same high-end look. Hand engraving of a transferred signature gives clean lines that have all the little quirks of your hand signature. It can also include broader lines in areas of the signature where you bear down the most with a pen and end up with a wider line OR uniform width lines, whichever you prefer.

Reluctantly

A good hand engraver can take your signature file, transfer it to the object, use either a hammer and chisel graver or an air or electric assisted handpiece with graver to cut your signature exactly as if you had it in your hand. A rotary handpiece does not give the same high-end look. Hand engraving of a transferred signature gives clean lines that have all the little quirks of your hand signature. It can also include broader lines in areas of the signature where you bear down the most with a pen and end up with a wider line OR uniform width lines, whichever you prefer.
Thanks for that, I'm open to hand engraving as an option. Feel free to recommend any engravers by name if you know of any in the NYC area. I have tried to search for "hand engravers new york" but nothing other than all the regular trophy shop engravers shows up, as well as a Times article for a hand engraver... in London!

Daannyycc

A hundred years ago, I wanted a small piece engraved to give to the wife. The JEWELER sat down and push engraved it for me and handed it back.

Try calling a few high end Jewelers about them hand engraving it - OR - Ask someone here to engrave it for you.

Make a new post and say Engraver Wanted to Engrave a Pen Cap.

monk

Staff member
i have such a rotary device on my panto. doing such is a pita. there's not enuff money to talk me into doing this. the pain is in making sure everything is perfectly aligned, eyeballing is the only way to assure "perfect "alignment. "eyeballing" this type project can be less than acceptable. it will look beautiful until you remove the pen. then you may see it is off a mm or so. this would be easy if there was a "dummy" piece to assure good alignment.

Reluctantly

A hundred years ago, I wanted a small piece engraved to give to the wife. The JEWELER sat down and push engraved it for me and handed it back.

Try calling a few high end Jewelers about them hand engraving it - OR - Ask someone here to engrave it for you.

Make a new post and say Engraver Wanted to Engrave a Pen Cap.
Thanks for this, I'll reach out with a new thread if it doesn't work out with the person I'm in touch with at the moment.

Reluctantly

i have such a rotary device on my panto. doing such is a pita. there's not enuff money to talk me into doing this. the pain is in making sure everything is perfectly aligned, eyeballing is the only way to assure "perfect "alignment. "eyeballing" this type project can be less than acceptable. it will look beautiful until you remove the pen. then you may see it is off a mm or so. this would be easy if there was a "dummy" piece to assure good alignment.
Yes, I've learned that this is a pita for all involved, including me! However it must be able to be done, the picture here shows a silver Montblanc cap with what appears to be a diamond dragged company logo.

Attachments

• montblanc-meisterstuck-solitaire_1_3d2cf22f9c9f85a67840a08f9dbaf559.jpg
    montblanc-meisterstuck-solitaire_1_3d2cf22f9c9f85a67840a08f9dbaf559.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 62

Reluctantly

There's definitely enough money, question is, how much?

Reluctantly

that was a rather lame way to avoid doing such a job. sorry if you misunderstood.
Haha, no problem, I understand. Seems like it's a relatively intensive set-up job for such a small and one-off engraving. It could be done with a laser in a couple of minutes but I just don't like the look of that, looks too "corporate gift" to me.

Hand engraving is an option, but as the engraving is so small and simple it seems like there is diminishing returns on the greater expense of a hand engraving when a diamond drag could (in theory) do a similar job.

The search continues...

Reluctantly

the how much is the cost of the actual pen (that you have to replace) plus 25% :shock:
Haha, the stainless steel Meisterstuck is not made like this anymore. The ones Montblanc makes now are textured and patterned steel, this one is plain and polished.

I guess it would be worth around $700, but the issue is that they aren't easily replaced. You'd have to come across an old new stock or something like that on ebay.

Is diamond dragging an object like this really such a "hit or miss" undertaking? I naturally got a couple of cheap metal cases of similar size so that the engraver would be able to do some trial runs.

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
To me it seems you're simply creating obstacles for your project that need not exist. Any truly competent hand engraver can take the image of the signature, transfer it to the workpiece, and reproduce it exactly, without adding or subtracting anything from the signature.

Technically speaking, hand engraving, or really good laster engraving done with a high end rotary fixture will both achieve the desired result on a curved surface.

With decent artwork provided by the customer, any of the master engravers on this forum (should you be fortunate enough for them to agree to the commission) are completely capable of hand engraving just about any signature you can imagine with complete fidelity on a curved stainless surface.

Good luck!

Reluctantly

To me it seems you're simply creating obstacles for your project that need not exist. Any truly competent hand engraver can take the image of the signature, transfer it to the workpiece, and reproduce it exactly, without adding or subtracting anything from the signature.

Technically speaking, hand engraving, or really good laster engraving done with a high end rotary fixture will both achieve the desired result on a curved surface.

With decent artwork provided by the customer, any of the master engravers on this forum (should you be fortunate enough for them to agree to the commission) are completely capable of hand engraving just about any signature you can imagine with complete fidelity on a curved stainless surface.

Good luck!
I'm definitely not averse to having it hand-engraved, it's just that it's not easy to source a hand engraver without doing a fair amount of research (that's an obstacle in itself). Searching "hand engravers" in my region throws up all the usual trophy and corporate-client engraving businesses.

Is there a reliable directory of hand engravers you could refer me to? I'd be happy to do my research and reach out if only I knew where to start. (Another poster here suggested I start a new thread advertising the project - I'll get around to that if my current lead in the tri-state region falls through...)

The other issue is that I assumed hand engraving would be significantly more expensive than diamond dragging. I may be wrong though? Since my request is for something small and not particularly detailed I thought that machine engraving made sense.

You suggest that I would be "fortunate" to have an engraver agree to it. Does this mean it would be difficult to find an engraver to do the work? (Again, trying to persuade people to take on a project is another kind of obstacle.)

I'm definitely not intentionally erecting barriers. I know what I want and if that's best done by hand then I'm happy to go with that.

Attachments

• sig1.jpg
    sig1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 40
  • sig2.jpg
    sig2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 40
  • sig3.jpeg
    sig3.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 40

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
C. J. Cai, a FEGA Master Engraver from Honolulu, Hawaii has completed full engraving and inlay works on very valuable fountainpens. These won awards at the FEGA engravers show.
A search of his website or the FEGA forum may show pictures of his fine work.
I have no idea if C. J. would be willing, or have time to take on your little monogram job.
If not, he may recommend you to someone.
There a many other hand engravers who could easily do the job if they have the time and the work holding fixtures for your pen.

Last edited:

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It could be done with a laser in a couple of minutes but I just don't like the look of that, looks too "corporate gift" to me.

Hand engraving is an option, but as the engraving is so small and simple it seems like there is diminishing returns on the greater expense of a hand engraving when a diamond drag could (in theory) do a similar job.
Oh my, so sad....
The tasteless uneducated of the younger generation.

Latest posts

Sponsors