Engraving (H&C) of Gibson guitar

dimovengraving

Elite Cafe Member
One of the most interesting orders that I've ever had :graver:

Making and engraving of a metal front(aluminium , heat treated) "Zemaitis type" , of Gibson (Les Paul studio) guitar

This job is inspired by work of Danny O'Brien

Big picture (2000px) :

click to enlarge

some work pictures :

Before - After :

If someone writes:
Great!! ..Can you give a picture in close up
?

I will answer him:
Don't cavil with me
!

This was :tiphat:

Last edited:

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
WOW, a Gibson Les Pauls is already a piece of art itselfs but you made it very very special Evgeni.
Love this piece of work and I can imagine this was a very nice job for you.
Why did you made it an H&C job since it aluminium, was there a special reason?

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
wow ! that's an unbelievably beautiful piece of work you have created. i would like to see the recipients' face when he/she gets this. i'm certain this is already a family heirloom before it even leaves your shop.
evgeni: i'm curious as to why you have the guitar body wrapped in plastic.

dimovengraving

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the comments
...Why did you made it an H&C job since it aluminium, was there a special reason?
I did H&C engraving , because air engraving system :)
I used aluminium, because is lightweight

... evgeni: i'm curious as to why you have the guitar body wrapped in plastic.
I had to make a negative imprint of the front of guitar, to shape the metal plate on guitar relief
The plastic is just isolation in this step

In the first post I forgot to write that while I working on this project, the world lost an amazing musician - J.J. Cale
And always I will associate this my work with JJ

[video=youtube;IyY8ZumnzmU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyY8ZumnzmU[/video]

monk

Staff member
evgeni: i have accepted just such a job. the aluminum blank of choice ? a common stop sign retrieved from the local junk yard. will have to test to see if it's easy to cut. unfortunately the individual wants an all "electric" theme for his. he wanted no part of scroll work. he wants me to use a font called "eight count" which has a sort of electric jolt when one looks at it. the name of the group has yet to be decided. here's the shape i have to do.

Attachments

• guitar1.jpg
    guitar1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Danguitarman

Blimey, this is a truly beautiful guitar. I would love the same for my Les Paul.
Is this something you would do again and in which case I would love a ball-park figure of how much you would charge!

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Super job Evgeni! I have built a few acoustic guitars with aluminum engraved inlays so I have a good feel for what you went through. Also, the hammer you show reminds me of the hammer and dolly work I have been and am doing on my old cars to remove dents and smooth the metal. Don't think I am quite up to a Les Paul.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
What a great job you have done with a classic guitar. Thank you for showing the progression of work. I wish more engravers would show the progression to completion, I seem to pick up something every time I get to view it like this. Just wondering what kind of time do you have invested in this true piece of living art?
Skill comes from Diligence.

dimovengraving

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Danguitarman, SamW, Adder and gcleaker

... Can I ask how many hours in this Project?...
... Just wondering what kind of time do you have invested in this true piece of living art? ...
This is a job a few years ago. I think the production time was 2 months. It took a long time to repeat the relief of the front of the guitar.
With a flat front everything would be easier

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Danguitarman, SamW, Adder and gcleaker

This is a job a few years ago. I think the production time was 2 months. It took a long time to repeat the relief of the front of the guitar.
With a flat front everything would be easier
Thanks for the reply, neat to see so many skill sets come together from one artisan.
Skill comes from diligence.