Help, please: Everything you need to get going?

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barbara,
If AT ALL possible, I would try to visit an engraver that can let you try the tools prior to buying them.

Another option that was NOT mentioned is the Lindsay "Air-Graver". While I have a Gravermax and am VERY happy with it, there are many that prefer the Air-Graver.

Depending what your requirements are, your choice may differ. One advantage of the Air-Graver is you don't need a compressor, and it can be run from CO2 such as are popular with Paintball systems.

Do an internet search and you can find as much information as needed.

Regards,

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tagging on to Peter's excellent suggestion, if you go to your Profile and fill in a location (at least a rough one) there's probably at least one engraver somewhere in the area who you could go visit.

On the Lindsay forum there's a 'Networking' section where people post to let folks know where they can come to see some toys and chat.

Pretty much due to sheer luck I have both systems so I can tell you that for most people there's very little difference between them. For some people the tiny ergonomic differences are critical but they're close enough in feel that that's pretty rare. Still a good idea to actually fondle before you buy though, just in case.

Because there are more GRS units out in the world you're more likely to find GRS gear used.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hey, yall can relax and enjoy things now & then. just turn the power off and push the tool anyway. it's a nice feeling to at least experience the "feel" of the old way. but if you're earnin bucks these days-- well, pushin is kinda slow.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ciamar a tha sibh, Barbara!

I opened this thread late, and noticed you are a Lochinver woman. My Scottish workshop for more than 20 years was in Nairn, and now my gear is near Dunkeld. I have another workshop in Mendocino, California, and go back and forth, currently I am in California.

A couple of things:

Check this site...http://www.thesealmaker.com/home.php

Neil Oliver is a fine engraver and has many other skills. He is near Findhorn, you could contact him, and mention my name, Rod Cameron, the flutemaker from Nairn, and see if he can arrange a visit to his workshop. He is a highly experience engraver by hand, deep relief carving, seal maker, and also has a GRS system. A visit to his shop would be a great thing to kick start you in engraving, to get a good idea of push, plus air power engraving, and carving. The photo shows a collaboration with Neil, I made the 18th century style flute from antique ivory years ago, and he carved the owner's crest on its end-cap.

I have a ball vice, GRS Graver Max and a small compressor in storage at Hamish Moore's workshop , the bagpipe maker, near Dunkeld.

Might be able to work something out, for you to borrow these for a while. That might assist you in eventually choosing your own tooling.

I had a look at your webpage, and it is very interesting ! ... I am also an engineer.

You may email me at:

rcameron@mcn.org

Spent many a year in the Northwest Highlands, climbing, kayaking, and playing music at the Ceilidh Place in Ullapool.

Looks like you studied in Dundee? Did you ever meet Michael Mara, the singer? We are pals and toured together.

aye!

Rod

Attachments

• neil.jpg
    neil.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Curtis Wilson

Barbara, you have some very nice worrks on your site. I will have to say that a sharpening system with an indexable locking holder like the GRS system is a must as stated by Ron,Sam and the others. It will make all the difference when sharpening no matter which setup that you go with. I say this from experience. Just my two pence worth.
Curtis Wilson